Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY Hunters!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY Hunters!

The time is now men! Lets go get em!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 AM

Default RE: NY Hunters!

went this morning..heard a gobble but thats it!

going to a better sopt tomm...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

Got a double a little after 7, all kinds of gobbles but only to crows and other gobblers. Finally did some super aggressive cutting and yelping and had 4 youngin's come in on string...life is good in NY
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great to hear!

I had a couple of gobbles from two different locations this morning, but couldn't get them to come close. I did have a couple of hens come in to the decoys but the school bus down the neighbor'sroad scared them off.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of gobbles, just didn't sound sweet enough to get them off the ladies
Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

MDManiac you said you got a double...as you you shot two birds in the same day, or you and someone else you were hunting with shot two? The only reason I ask is because I think technically in NY you aren't supposed to shoot two in the same day. I'm not positve though so double check if you have the regs handy. I ain't gonna tell but I wouldn't want you to get in a jam over it. Either way good job on connecting, I can't wait to go out
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

What an emotional roller coaster of a morning today! 4:45 AM came quick. Ate, got dressed and ready to go out then headed to my spot around 5:10. Sat down, heard a bird or two fly down and listened to gobbles everywhere except where I was sitting. Called my first bird in a little before 7:00. Looked like a decent bird, but left because it didn't feel like crossing the fence. He left and had a gobble competition with another bird about 100-200 yards into the woods then they left. Walked around for a half hour or so just to see if I could get some gobbles in a couple different spots. Heard some back at my first spot, so I went back. Responded to some gobbles a few times then looked to my right to see two toms. One was strutting and the other was skeptical. They ended up going straight behind me and around. I switched hands to my right because they were both around 20 yards away. Surprised that I didn't spook them because my movement could have been a little less. Took the shot and got the strutter. He had an 8" beard and 3/4" spurs. I'll post a picture later. Great I thought! Go home, pack it up with the food sealer then head to work earlier than I thought. That was only the start of it.

Got home, had some pics taken and started to cut up the meat. Bird was all breasted with a few peices in the first bag all sealed up. Went back outside to collect the rest and seal it up when my Golden Retriever greeted me just outside the sliding door. He was wagging his tail slightly and licking his chops a little. I quick thought to myself that he could have taken a little meat. Looked over to find a breast and a half GONE...what an empty feeling after such a successful morning. It never crossed my mind that he would have eaten a breast and a half. The dog will never be trusted again like that. Anyone else had something similar to this happen with turkey, deer or some other type game? It was my fault and my dogs. I feel ashamed. I've never had a hard time with him like that before. I guess it's just instinct. He's never done that. Well, I had to vent.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on scoring troutman! Atleast your pup has good taste

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

MDManiac you said you got a double...as you you shot two birds in the same day, or you and someone else you were hunting with shot two? The only reason I ask is because I think technically in NY you aren't supposed to shoot two in the same day. I'm not positve though so double check if you have the regs handy. I ain't gonna tell but I wouldn't want you to get in a jam over it. Either way good job on connecting, I can't wait to go out
We both scored, my buddy took a 16 or 17lb bird with a full fan and real thick 5-6" beard...had nubs for spurs. My bird was same wieght, same spurs, jake fan and a much thinner 5" beard. He shot first and rolled his bird, we started calling and the jake's stood around wondering what happened, so i decided to show one what a load of #5 from my 835 felt like....

Second double on opening day for me, first for him, reguardless of date.

Good luck all!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

MD - Sounds like a great morning, congrats!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Life is good now in WNY (except for the weather). Me and the girlfriends father went out on the opener, he scored on a nice 3 y/o tom right after flydown. Then friday we hit it again and i scored on a nice 2 y/o right after flydown. Life sure is good!

Took out a couple youngins today, heard lots of gobblers but they all had other love interests this morning.

I'll be flyin solo tomorrow with the bow and arrow, hopfully i get some action!!

Quick Reply: NY Hunters!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.