Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I HATE hunting public!!!!!! >

I HATE hunting public!!!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I HATE hunting public!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default I HATE hunting public!!!!!!

Last Monday had a guy bump the bird I was set up on off the roost at 6:30!!!! Had another guy set up about60 yards away from me and acted like that was fine and dandy, nothin wrong with it!!, but yesterday toped it all off!!!!!!
I was set up by a power line path, big, open, mowed path that the birds have been heading toward shortly after flydown to strut untill the hens get there. Well, Im the only truck parked around there and I pulled in an hour and 15 min. early to check and make sure. I have 3 toms roosted from 100-about 80 yards away on the side of the ridgethat Im on the top of,gobblin their heads off! 178 gobbles between the 3 just on roost in about 15-20 min. It was awesome! Im givin little tree yelps and they are just eatin it up!!! Double gobbles and one tripple. I shut up untill flydown and cut into em on the slate cause they flew down away from me toward the bottom of the ridge. Im callin with the slate and my mouth call to sound like multiple hens and here at least one comes.
I got him on the way. Goes from about 125-130 yards to about 80 and BOOM BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some other yahoo sliped inbetween me and the bird or came and set up in between us well after I started calling. Unless he hiked all the way up in there without a truck that mornin, he came in after I did!
Im tired of public land huntin. I need to find some private property to chase birds on.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I HATE hunting public!!!!!!

lol, right on. i leared my lesson years ago. i buy plat books and call up / nock on doors all the time.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 AM

Man, 178 gobbles in 15 minutes is sick.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM

know what you mean, except I got cut off on private land. it doesn't mattter to some folks, some people just don't have ethics period.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to hear that.Some people just don't have any ethics. I just started hunting public land this year. I would imagine that the loud mouth toms are part of the problem. Its like an loud speakeryelling out "COME HUNT HERE"

I was fortunate enough to find a tight lipped bird who only gobbledonce to go to roost, then once the next morning after the flydown just before I shot him.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sucks, but its the reality of the situation. On public land its the game you play sometimes. You aren't going to be successful unless you: A) walk 3 miles in and 3 miles out or B) are an ass hole and set up on people/truck scout.

With birds going off like that... you couldn't honestly have expected anything else could you?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Last year during the 2nd week of the season I had a bird that I had worked for about 40 min circle around me and another hunter, who also came in after I did and had to know I was there, sent a load of number fives right past me. I stopped hunting for the rest of the season after that. I now have access to private land this season. There are some really scary people out there. That makes the 3rd time in 27 years. The first two were during deer season. I really enjoy archery season

Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Sometimes public land ends up workin in your favor though like 2 years ago i was hunting public land
and other hunters pused 2 jakes right to me(But i missed[:@])
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM

In Pennsylvania, we often spoke about " Them Ohio Hunters"
The same way you are right now.

Public hunting is just that - public.

You can't stop another person - just because you got there first.

I once had a flock all lined up and then my brother didn't show up to hunt them until 9:30 AM on the first day.

When I got to where they were, there was two other hunters sitting under the hemlock tree that I planned on using for a turkey stand.

My brother suggested that we make a big circle around them guys and when we got 100 yards down in the woods - we came to a string of posted signs and could go no further.

Then we heard Boom, Boom, Boom!

We followed the posted signs to the edge of the field and were walking along, fat - dumb and happy when a large Tom stepped out from the golden rod. I shot and my brother shot - only he only had 3 shells for Turkeys and he blew his wad right off.

That turkey ran back into the hunters that was posted under the Hemlock tree and they got him right off the bat.

Two large Toms for them and nothing for us.

The other hunters admitted that the turkeys were hung up at about 80 yards all morning and if we wouldn't have showed up and moved them around - they never would have came into shotgun range.

I have to agree with most people on here and just say that if you walk a couple of miles back - you will not have those problems.

If you road hunt and know where they are - chances are - others will too.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes private ain't no better. My bud was hunting his land lease and some yahoo on an ATV shot his deke while he was working a bird this weekend. The guy was apparently a guest of someone else on the lease. My bud took some flying bark off a tree that got hit. Luckily he didn''t catch any pellets himself.

Quick Reply: I HATE hunting public!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.