Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 PA Exciting/Embarassing Opener >

PA Exciting/Embarassing Opener

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

PA Exciting/Embarassing Opener

Old 04-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Exciting/Embarassing Opener

Well, this morning PA opener turned out to be interesting to say the least. This is only my second season hunting turkeys, and about my 3rd hunt ever, but I've been having a blast since getting addicted. I went out last evening to a location where I thought birds would be roosting, but had not luck. So, I was contemplating where I would go in the morning until I woke up this morning to a note on the table from my dad saying he saw a nice gobbler at 7:30 last evening in a field corner near our property. I knew there was a large stand of pines nearby and they have roosted there in the past, so I figured, what the heck, that's as good as a place as any.

So, I get all setup about 100yds out off the pine stand, and sure enough two gobblers fired off as they flew down. I gave a few soft yelps on my slate, and that got them even more fired up, but they sounded as if they were moving away from me. However, I learned last year that I called too much, so I decided to let them come to me. About 5 minutes later, I hear one of the gobblers fire off about 60 yds out over a hump in the field. Now I'm getting excited (never shot one btw), and I'm still keeping myself tight lipped. I see them appear finally, heading straight across the field ridge away from me, so I gave a few soft yelps again, and BAM, they turned and started coming in on a string toward me. I set the call down, and got ready. The lead bird was a BIG one, beard dragging on the ground and all. He came in much faster while the second bird stayed back (I believe it was a jake). Being a beginner and somewhat of a cheapo, I don't have but one decoy, and I actually lost the ground stake for it, so I didn't bring it out with me, so I had no decoys. However, the bird kept coming, closing distance fast. He got about 40 yds out and turned immediately to the left and behind a huge brush pile, which allowed me to re-position my gun to the next opening (which was small, but I knew it was my last chance). I wanted to get a shot off before he circled me, so once he stepped in the opening, I fired...MISS! Second shot...MISS...[:@][:@] I was so mad, and I'm still extremely embarassed and pretty upset. I'm not going to make excuses, it was simply a rushed shot and bad aim, but I was extremely excited. I've shot a lot of deer, but this was a whole different experience, and it was awesome! My dad attributes the miss to the brush in the way, and the fact that I was only using 2 3/4 low base rounds (don't ask...long story[8D]), but I'll take the blame and say it was just a stupid mistake. I'm actually beating myself up about it quite a bit, but at the same time...WHAT A RUSH! I had a blast, and hope to return this week to try and redeem myself.

Quick question...this seems to be a current hotspot on my property, and I would like to hunt it Monday morning. Should I setup in a slightly different location AND use a different call, or is this spot ruined? Part of me is so ticked, and that will only be amplified if I ruined a prime spot. How long does it take for Turkey's to...well..."forget?" Anyways, thought I would share the story with you guys...not a successful ending, but still pretty exciting.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: PA Exciting/Embarassing Opener

I would give the location a try on monday but in the mean time I would go get yourself a makeshift turkey peg to use with your decoy. I would also get an additional call maybe a mouth call and practice till you pass out over the remainder of the weekend. I by no means am an expert but as long as you were the only person hunting that area by the time monday rolls around everything should be back to the way it was before.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: PA Exciting/Embarassing Opener

Sounds like you had a exciting hunt anyhow. I'm not real familiar w/ rehunting a bird I missed but I'm guessing in a few days he'll be around but probably a little more tight lipped. Good luck though!!