HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Hunting in thunderstorms (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/243719-hunting-thunderstorms.html)

spudrow 04-24-2008 07:10 PM

Hunting in thunderstorms

I know it isn't the smartest thing in the world to do but I just love to turkey hunt during thunderstorms. It seems to me they gobble their heads off. Anyone else hunt during these storms?

Spudrow from Mo

shamlin 04-24-2008 07:41 PM

RE: Hunting in thunderstorms

Even if it is raining?

spudrow 04-24-2008 08:09 PM

That's what rain gear is for.

Spudrow from Mo

SwampCollie 04-24-2008 08:19 PM

I've heard them gobble at thunder... but never during a spring downpour.

Whats that old saying... trees and lightning.

Spudrow... don't worry about being stupid.... most hunter's wives think that anyway....:D

And most other hunters think us waterfowlers are nuts.....

spudrow 04-24-2008 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I've heard them gobble at thunder... but never during a spring downpour.

Whats that old saying... trees and lightning.

Spudrow... don't worry about being stupid.... most hunter's wives think that anyway....:D

All this is true.:D

Spudrow from Mo

mouthcaller 04-25-2008 09:55 AM

I hunt in any weather because I only get to hunt weekends. I don't know about your state, but here in Tennessee the TN Wildlife Resources Agency won't give me any additional days at the end of the season because I chose not to hunt in the rain.

I have taken several birds in the past that I was unaware of their locationuntil theygobbled at thunder. If I had been hooched up in the truck waiting for it to quit raining I would have never heard them. Two of the three I've killed so far this year were in the rain.

On opening weekend I have never heard so much gobbling as I did when a thunderstorm blew through. Whenthe rainslacked up and it quit lightening I killed a bird within 30 minutes because I knewexactly where he was.

I have good rain equiptment. I can always clean my gun and dry my boots. I go hunting rain or shine.

ICALL2MUCH 04-25-2008 11:10 AM

I shot my bird just after a thunderstorm last Tuesday. They gobble well. The birds hit the fields, hard.

Easier to locate, but very hard to hunt. On public land, you often are hunting alone in these conditions. TAKE ADVANTAGE!

Good hunting.

webbclan 04-25-2008 11:51 AM

Thunder and trains are my two favorite locators. They'll gobble like crazy at either one.

elksniper 04-26-2008 06:53 PM

I have killed my most mature bird during an awesome thunder storm this tom had been blowing mysets for an entire season here in ca we get a couple weeks extra for archery.Anyway thunder helped this happen and it will always be memorable due to the thunder from botht the tom and nature.

shamlin 04-26-2008 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

X2