Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Indiana youth ended with a BANG!  finally with pic >

Indiana youth ended with a BANG! finally with pic

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Indiana youth ended with a BANG! finally with pic

Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Indiana youth ended with a BANG! finally with pic

I took my 11 year old daughter out over the weekend on our youth hunt
Sat. was eventfull got into a few birds but couldn't pull things together but to see her face when she heard her first gobble from about 75 yards was priceless and what she said afterwards was even better she says "dad turkeys really do say gobble gobble" i about rolled over.

The evening mostly rained then it cleared up about 6:30 so we went out to try to roost some for the next day and heard nothing. So the next morning we went to the same area but 2 fields over to where the birds had roosted the night before to maybe he would be there again and he was and gobble a good hour before legal time which shocked the hell out of me but go figure he picthed down the oppiste way and never heard him again.

We decided to drive to another spot and on the way we past a friend and he just left where we were going with a jake his son had shot (which we had a chance on t6he day before but he cicrled around the wrong way and couldn't get lined up on him ) so snyhow we were kinda bummed out so i drove to another spot and got out and hit the box call and 1 sounded off about 500 to 600 yards out so i drove to the next parking lot got ready and started out towards the bird i was about 50 yards in the woods hit the call again and bam he was about 75 yards away and hot so i told we need to get down right now he's coming fast so we sat down gave a few cuts and bam even closer so i gave a few yelps and to my suprise there was 2 birds i kept on and they kept coming and finally i can see one i told her to get ready next thing i know we have 3 long beards in front of us she got on him and bang MISS i cutt real quick and 1 came back BANG and another miss well then they were gone i told her not to worry its still early.

so back to the truck by then my buddy was back after droppin his son off to help us get one so went went to a spot we new there was some birds got out hit the call and bam about 150 yards in the woods so we got ready ( by the way i had regular #6 game loads for her in the gun before
and it couldn't get true the brush on those other 2 birds so this time she wasn't lookin so i put the 3" i patterned the gun with so we would have a better chance) so we run in the woods and hit the call and bam he was closer this time so we sat down about 50 yards off the road and started workin him and he gobbled his head off comin in finally i saw him about the yards away and asked her about 50 times YOU ON HIM and i could her my buddy KILL HIM so finally she let the hammer fly and that bird rolled over backwards next thing i know she starts cryin and yellin i said whats wrong
the scope nailed her right on the nose after a few minutes she shook it off and my buddy had already ran and grabbed the bird.

He was 24lbs even with a 10 3/4 beard 3/4 spurs

BY THE WAY GUYS ITS THE FIRST THING SHE HAS SHOT AND ONLY 11 YEARS OLD I WISH THE FIRST THING I KILLED WAS A TURKEY ESPECALLY THAT GOOD OF ONE
Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Indiana youth ended with a BANG!

I
Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats to her.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

thanks guys
Old 04-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

congrats bill. i know you where just as excited as she was...........tony
Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 AM

Way to end the youth season ... Big CONGRATS to her on a great bird. E-mail a photo of her with her bird into Outdoor Envy for the Kids Corner [email protected] include hername,age and date she got her bird. There is also an article section in the Kids Cornerif she would like towrite an article about her hunt.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

awesome man. i know she is excited but proly not as much as you are. i cant wait till my daughter is old enough.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Bill congrats to your daughter and to you a very proud father. I enjoyed you telling me the story on the phone last night. Maybe we can get a hunt in Thursday... Kenny

Quick Reply: Indiana youth ended with a BANG! finally with pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.