Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Contest what do you all think? >

Contest what do you all think?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Contest what do you all think?

Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Contest what do you all think?

This is personal, however, I don't like the Idiea of being able to use a Double, Tripple, QuadTripple, Quintupple, Sixtitt in the Contest. With that being said I'll probably kill one with 20 Beards[8D]IMHO it takes away from the Team aspect of things. No Sour Grapes, Team 7 looks good, right, But now someone kills a 5 Bearded Gobbler 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 and Team 99 kills 10 1/2, 11, 11 1/4, 11 3/4, Does anyone see what I mean? I'll start a new post.

Sorry just my Opinion!!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Contest what do you all think?

Its kind of like scoring a non-typical buck and counting his score in a typical buck only contest. I hear your complaint. Glad I'm not in the contest.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Its kind of like scoring a non-typical buck and counting his score in a typical buck only contest. I hear your complaint. Glad I'm not in the contest.
Except this isnt a typical turkey only contest...nor is any deer contest ive ever heard of a typical only. So what if someone lucks out with a freak of a turkey? Be happy for em, dont complain because it put them in the lead. With teams as large as these, one bird will in no way win a contest, which is supposed to be for fun anyway.

You should join next year, great way to meet new people and swap stories if nothing else....even if some guy "beats" you with a triple beard.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess its something to consider for next spring... having a typical and non-typical catagory that is. Thats how NWTF rolls. But, when it comes to overall score.... #s are #s. There are places where almost every gobbler age 3 and over will have multiple beards.... its a trait just like non-typical whitetails.... some areas you'll never see one.... I've shot a heck of a lot of turkeys now in a few different states and I've personally never killed a multi-bearded bird. Just luck, or unluck of the draw I guess.

As to the contest, I opted out this year because I spend more and more time lately introducing new turkey hunters and calling in birds for folks who otherwise may not get the opportunity at a turkey. I get a lot more satisfaction out of seeing someone take their first or maybe just one of their first turkeys than I do out of potting them myself anymore. Must be getting old....
Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

well put TEmbry. plus if they was in the contest and they killed that triple beard i bet it would be ok.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to the NWTF, there's no such thing as a "non-typical" turkey. "Atypical" they call it. It would be cutting someone off at the knees for them to be excluded in a turkey contest just because their turkey hadextra characteristics that could be scored additionally. Actually, the way the NWTF scores turkeys is about as cut and dry as it gets in the world of scoring animals. It is what it is. No need to mess up a good thing.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with what the others have said besides this contest is just for fun and for meeting new people. i could understand your complaint if the teams were competing for some kind of award, but the way it is now i don't see a problem with it, and i'm glad i got into it this year because i've met a lot of new people. just my opinion