Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Effective patterns

Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Effective patterns

I just recently purchased a Mossberg 835 ultimag with the factory choke and want to know from those with a few more shooting years on me what the best thing to do on patterning my gun.
I am limited on money so I would rather shoot more at my personal targets which are a 3" circle with a 1 3/4" circle in the center of that and use a number of different shot shells to see which shoots best from my gun.
I plan on using 3" mag in sizes 4, 5, and 6 shot, but I am also open to using 3 1/2" mags in the same shot sizes.
My question is how many shots should Ifire at each distance which I plan on going from 10-50 yards in 10 yard increments. When I sight my rifle in I use a three shot pattern for each bullet should I do the same?
I know that the best thing to really do is use a turkey target at my set ranges but like I said I would rather use the limited amount of money I have left to find the best shell for my gun.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Effective patterns

Patterning a shotgun isn't nearly as precise as sighting in a rifle. I'd shoot one shell at each distance and if everything looks good you are probably all set. Might want to shoot one or two more at the longer ranges just to make sure you first shot wasn't a fluke, but other then that you should be good to go. If you are noticing big holes in your pattern or the bulk of the pattern is hitting way off your point of aim, thats when i would start worrying about changing chokes and loads. I think you will find that most shotguns aren't as picky as rifles. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get those turkey targets anyway and buy a couple of boxes of shells and see which one shot better. Set the target at 30 yards and shoot at it. The shell that throws the best pattern would be the one that I would use. I've found that money talks and BS walks when it comes to good shooting shells. If I had to shoot a lead shell it would be plain ol' Winchester High velocity's. They were about the cheapest shell I ever shot where I had satisfactory results.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use something much larger than a 3" circle to shoot at. Need to sight in a "pattern" not just a few pellets..

Winchesters always shot good for me as well till I started using Hevi Shot.. Went from 60 to 180 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds.

Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

My hunting buddy has that same gun and 2 loadings stand out in his...The Federal Premium loadings in #5s and the cheap Remington Nitros, #5s, that can me had in WalMart for $5.88...Both of these are 3 inch loadings and did better than the 3.5s that he tried...

On a target...take a 8x11 piece of paper, ball up your fist and trace around your fist and down your arm about 6-7 inches, now you have a turkey target...Put 8-12 pellets in that and you are good to go...

I just go ahead and start at 40 yards, because if that gun doesn't give a good pattern at 40, you need to try another shell...
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

make a fist with your left hand. put your arm flat on a piece of paper or card board (pinky resting on the paper)and bend your fist toward your body. TRACE. now you have a good approximation of a turkey kill zone. enjoy!

(lefties, reverse it!)