HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   3rd bird not openning up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/242493-3rd-bird-not-openning-up.html)

Allen Denton 04-15-2008 11:37 AM

3rd bird not openning up

I have three people that have killed birds and none of them openned up. They heard gobblin off in the distance and when they were focusing on those birds others showed up. My buddy today did not hear anything and just saw this bird making his way to him. I hope they wake up for me Sat.!!! Is anyone else having a slow start with the lack of gobblin?

webbclan 04-15-2008 11:41 AM

RE: 3rd bird not openning up

They're rattling their heads off here in Oklahoma. Lots of talking on the roost. They tend to quieten down just a bit when they hit the ground, but there's still plenty of gobbling.

mouthcaller 04-15-2008 01:51 PM

Turkeys have been blowing it out for 3 weeks where I hunt in W. Tennessee.

superstrutter 04-15-2008 02:14 PM

They haven't been doing squat where I am hunting in Tennessee, and I know there are turkeys there.

SwampCollie 04-15-2008 02:22 PM

Everyone I have talked to here in VA has reported either no gobbling or very little gobbling. Its the third day of the season and one of my hunting buddies (my godfather actually) has already tagged two birds (including one thats going to make the state record book).

Lots and lots of folks killing turkeys already, just not hearing them. I'm trying to get everything in order so I can hunt tomorrow... got so much paperwork....

redmag 04-15-2008 03:50 PM

Swampcollie,
I heard 2 birds on Sat. on the roost at a distance and once they flew down--nothing. The last 2 days I have heard 0 birds I know they are there. A fellow hunter heard1 gobble 3 times yesterday and that was it. It am hunting the GW back of Edinburg, VA.

JB

Lubricious 04-15-2008 04:19 PM

Went this morning to Chickahominy and didnt hear any. Everyone I talked to out there said the same thing.

SwampCollie 04-15-2008 06:43 PM

General concensus among most VA hunters echos the same gents. Few gobbling in the tree... hitting the ground and hushing up.... probably either roosting with hens or not doing much breeding yet. Weather don't help a lot either. Got the paperwork done I needed to get done... just gotta pack up a few things and head my ass south. Hunting tomorrow and thursday.... bass fishing in the afternoon. Much needed break from the rush. I know of only one bird using the property much (as of two weeks ago). I honestly don't care if I kill him or not, at least I won't be at work.

gpower1 04-16-2008 01:33 AM

in ga weve had weather problems and they have been actin like its late season, not gobblin at all.

Tree climber 04-16-2008 08:09 AM

here in Fla. I have heard only one bird really gobbling.I know there in the area. I have pic's. on my cam. of 4 different boss toms. and they are not talking.one bird gobbled 6 or 8 times the day before the season opened and tried to gobble one time opening morning.he came in and never said a thing.

kind weird all over the best I can tell from everyone I talk to.