Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What vest?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What vest?

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

An alternative to consider -

I quit using these turkey vests years ago in favor of backpacks. I have a couple different sizes depending upon whether I am taking decoys (especially B-mobile) or not and how long I'm staying. I just never liked how those vests had all that stuff hanging down the sides to catch every limb and briar in the woods.

When hunting public ground I may stay out all day, which means I need to pack lunch, snacks, and several bottles of water depending on the temps. Backpacks allow you to take raingear without having to wear it also, and they make a convenient place to put unnessary cloths as the day warms up. Both my backpacks have a small bag of essentials including matches, spare batteries, toilet paper, Trail tape, zip ties, turkey tote parachute cord, compass, and an extra "emergency" diaphram call in-case I leave them in the truck or I somehow loose them in the woods (hasn't happened yet).

Another essential part of my gear is a fanny pack worn in the front (buckle in the back). In this I keep and storemy glass and aluminum pot calls, strikers, gloves, face mask, spare shells, diaphram calls, sandpaper, lens cleaning cloth, and small zip ties to tag the birds feet. Everything is right there in easy reach and I don't have to go fumbling through a bunch of pockets to find what I want.

As far my seat - I used to use a small closed-cell foam pad that I attached to my belt with velcro straps. A couple years ago at the NWTF turkey convention in Nashville I found these guys selling a larger cushion seat that had a nylon webbing strap attached to it. I put my belt through the strap and the cushion is worn on the side. When I want to get up and walk simple pull the webbing up until the cushion is tight to your belt and then the webbing snaps together to hold it there while you walk. To lower it to sit on simply unsnap the snap and it falls right down. Very clever.
I was giving thisvery idea some serious thoughtof late, and may very well end up going this way myself down the road for the very reasons that you listed. I'm currently using the Mossy Oak Elite vest.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Maytom

If you try it you may never go back to the vest.

I have an old cotton "turkey hunting jacket" that Mossy Oak made in greenleaf bottomland camo - I bought it years ago and have sewed on it and replaced numerous buttons in order to prolong its life. It is just amedium weight cotton shirt/jacket but has a goodly number of pockets and I wear it nearly everytime I go unless it is really really cold or really really warm. It will hold nearly everything that's in the fanny pack, giving me the option of dropping it on certain days, but I always take the backpack.

I like to move (better stated, I have no patience for sitting in oneplacewith decoys calling at trees) and I can easily slip around with my setup. Often when I am approaching a bird I will drop the backpack behind a tree orin the weedsfor the last 20-50 yards of my approach so as to avoid making any additional noise when sitting down getting ready to call.

If you like to hunt like I do then I encourage to give it a try.

Good luck

Tom
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Mossy Oak Eliete III Turkey Vest and I really like it. I can't say that isn't too much I don't like about it. It has lots and lots of room to put stuff and I carry my decoys in the back. I can easily put everything I have for turkey hunting in it (which is quite a bit) and I still have room for more stuff. The only thing that I can say that I don't really care for about it is after using the seat, it is kinda difficult clipping the seat back in the up position. I have noticed though the more that I use it the quicker I am getting the seat up. I just bought the vest about a month ago and I have taken it on all my turkey hunts so far (Season started end of March in Texas). If I had to buy the vest again, I most definitely would.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Another alternative....

I almost spent the $$$ on a new turkey vest last year....but opted, instead, for the DB Wild Thing pack. It carries everything (bow included) that I need....and makes preparation a breeze. I literally lick up my pack, only, to go afield.
I've been looking for a descent bow pack, I would like one I could use for all hunting with my bow... so come fall I can leave a deek and a call in it but add my coverscents and a few wicks and such for deer season.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

RedHead® Bucklick Creek Turkey Lounger Vest

It makes its own seat that you do not even need a tree to sit against. You can even take a nap in it!
The only thing I do not like about it issometimes the straps break off from where they are fastened to the front. This happened to me twice. I try to turn and put my hand down on the seat part and turn my shoulders and pop off they come.

I have recently thought about going vestless and using the backpack also.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 PM

I got the Super Elite 3 this year, actually got 2 of them. I really like it, it has room for everything and the kitchen sink. One thing I do like about it in particular is that it is really easy to get out of. This past weekend, I was perched up against a tree with it, and couldnt see where the birds were coming from, so I slipped out of it and snuck out in the powerline without it. The only thing I dont like about it is, the snaps for the seat are kinda high and back to get the seat back up. But if take it off to stuff your dekes in the back, you can always do it with it off. The back also has enough room for bmobile, and shemobile.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

i also have the mossy oak elite 3 but the new hybrid and i love that thing its comfy and i know right where everything is at and there is plenty of room for extras.
last year i used a cheapo from bps and didn't think i would like vest bought a fanny pack with lots of pockets bbut i don't like that around my waste especially if i need to play rambo on my belly

Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I have the Tactical Tat'r by cabelas that I got a year ago on clearance for a very nice price. It has tons of pockets. It's short enough that when you sit down the pockets are at the perfect height. The seat in 2" thick and very comfy. Has a real nice game pouch/decoy holder. It basically fulfills all my needs.
Those look awesome, I think I might buy one.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I had a tarantula vest for about 3 yrs and then I bought a primos gobbler vest. I love it.