Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 1 Old Tom + 7 Coons = Eventful Morning >

1 Old Tom + 7 Coons = Eventful Morning

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

1 Old Tom + 7 Coons = Eventful Morning

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM

Default 1 Old Tom + 7 Coons = Eventful Morning

I woke up this morning at 4 AM, took a shower, and took off on my 45 minute drive to the farm I would be hunting, knowing I wouldn't have long to get it done. I had to be back in class at 8:50 AM. I got there well before first light, and took off on foot for the holler. It is basically two straight up and down bluffs, with a 50 yard wide strip of field in the bottom, and is around 300 yards deep. The last two mornings The bird was roosted in the very end of the holler on the right side. So naturally, I set up this morning about 150 yards in, and set upon the left side.Set one hen decoy out in the field and set up on the side of the ridge about 20 yards from the decoy. Got my calls out and waited for first light.

Not five minutes later i saw movement not 5 yards from the decoy. Way too dark to tell what it was, but it was a dark object. It all of the sudden lets out the most God awful screech and takes off at a dead sprint in my direction. I raise my gun in defense, seriously comtemplating on firing to save my life which I was sure would soon be over. It stopped 2 yards shy of my feet, and climbed a tree all the way to the top. Once its silloute was skylined, I could tell it was a big teddy bear coon. OK, coast is clear, game on.

10 minutes later first light has finally reached the bottom of the holler. The first gobble of the morning sounds off on the other end of the farm. i hear something that sounds like hogs grunting, mind you there are no hogs in these parts, and a lot of ruckus in the leaves to my left. I see 5 coons coming hard down a cattle trail. After tracing the trail with my eyes out in front of them, I realized I was sitting in it.[&o] Now Im not one to get scared of a little animal, But ive seen what a coon can do to a dog even after being shot, and I wasnt about to attempt to take on 5 healthy ones. Once they closed within 5 yards i said that was just far enough, and I wimped out. I stood up and hissed GET OUT OF HERE, waving my gun. They slunk down then scrambled out of there.

Still sitting waiting for the bird that should have gobbled a long time ago. I figured I had bumped him off roost with the coons or something, and all the gobblers in the distance were starting to sound mighty good. I nearly stood up and took off after them, but decided against it due to my limited time. i was going to wait it out. I got out my slate and was conditioning it again when the bird in my holler sounded off FINALLY, except it was all wrong.

The bird turned out to be not 20 yards away, but directly behind me. I knew instantly I was royally screwed. No way could I pull this off. It actually startled me so bad I droped the call and scratch pad. Luckily it didnt fall to far and i could pick it up without to much movement. I gave a quick three clucks that he instantly fired off to. That was good enough,I shut up. As it got more and more daylight, I had another problem arise. In the corner of my eye I caught more movement on the cattle trail. I looked over to see another two coons heading my way. I decided this time they would have to crawl over me, because there was no way in HELL i was going to spook this bird. The lead coon got within 2 feet of elbow and started to make the move to literally climb onto me when I hissed like a cat. It was the only thing I could think of at the moment.He slinks down and slowly wanders off, deciding there was something wrong with that tree.[8D]

The gobbler continues to sound off 3 or 4 more times, and I made a plan on how to get my gun up. I was going to pull it up while the gobbler was pitching out. I figured he would less likely spot me if he was flying while I moved. So when I heard the flapping of wings, I popped My gun up, shouldered it and turned to the left. I couldnt tell where the bird was flying to, until i felt wind in my face. He comes crashing down not 3 yards from the end of barrel. I couldnt even breathe. He started wandering back and forth in and out of small saplings until he finally goes behind a bigger tree some 25 yards out. I pulled the gun all the way up and took aim for where he would come out. I gave three sharp clucks on my diaphram, and he peeks around the tree. Game over. I chase him down and step on his head. I look up in disbelief on how the morning went, and noticed that first coon still up in the treetop staring down at me. he got to witness one hell of a show lol.

So heres some pics of my biggest bird to date. He weighed an ounce under 23 lbs on certified scales. 9.5" beard and 1 1/8" matching spurs.

Score is 22.9375 + 11.25 + 11.25 + 19 = 64.4375

Sorry for the crappy yard pics, but hey, I was fixing to be late for class. I made it just in time after cleanin the bird and the quick photos.

This leaves me with the next three weeks to fill my second tag with the Hoyt.

EDIT: I just noticed how goofy my face is in the pics. I knew the sun was in my eyes bad but geesh, that look is unnaceptable.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Default RE: 1 Old Tom + 7 Coons = Eventful Morning

congrats man, nice bird
Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 PM

Congrats!!!!

Nice Bird
Old 04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats! thats a great bird!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:33 PM

Man....The bird is nice but,the best thing to come out of that might have been the hunting story you got.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

What the...is a holler?

Nice bird bro, I'll be down next spring
Old 04-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

lost river game calls! I see ole Dave made a convert!. Fine call, thats for sure! Congrats on your bird!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

What the...is a holler?

LMAO...um valley? Steep rock bluffs on both sides that are wooded, with a thin field down the middle. Maybe just a long draw....heck idk.

Sounds like a plan, plenty of birds to go around.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

What the...is a holler?

LMAO...um valley? Steep rock bluffs on both sides that are wooded, with a thin field down the middle. Maybe just a long draw....heck idk.

Sounds like a plan, plenty of birds to go around.
Trevor, I holler at my dog...I don't hunt near one

Now go shoot one with the hoyt, like I told you to start with[8D]
Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Attaboy, nice job for team 16

Quick Reply: 1 Old Tom + 7 Coons = Eventful Morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.