Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol >

help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Old 04-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

let me begin by saying i now use a primos jellyhead and overall i'm pretty pleased with it. but i've been hearing over and over how unbelievable the Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike tube is, and i'm really curious. i don't know anybody else that uses one, so the only thing i can do is buy one and try it out for myself. but i'd really appreciate some info from ppl who have used this choke before i throw down 70 bucks on this thing. thanks for any input and i'd also appreciate it if you could tell me what shells you are using with it.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

I was at the gun shop this weekend and some guy came in with a pattern from that choke with Hevi-13 #6's and it was very impressive. Something like 50 shots in the kill zone (not 10 inches) at 40 yds, but then again I didn't count them myself.. But I've seen equally impressive patterns from the jelly head.. I am using the jelly head and was tempted to buy.. But at 70.00 if it's not broke don't fix it... Unless you just want to see if it will get better I guess..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kick's industrys Gobblin Thunder. They have done me good for turkey and for deer I have their Buck Kicker.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Allen Denton

Kick's industrys Gobblin Thunder. They have done me good for turkey and for deer I have their Buck Kicker.

I 2nd that. I've never used one, but have heard nothing but awesome things about that choke.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go over to the NWTF forums and look around and you will quickly find some patterns where guys used the Indian Creek with Hevi13 3" #6 shot that consistently got more than 200 pellet hits in a 10" circle.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

My buddy & neighbor is Steve Conover. He shoots for Indian Creek. I have4 IC tubes myself. They will flat shoot. Mike & Stuart can tell you what will work best in your gun. In my 935, I put 227 pellets in a 10" circle with Hevi-13, 3.5" #6's, 2 1/4 oz shot. With Winchester HV 3.5 " #6's, I put 157in a 10" circle. Both were shot at a measured 40 yds. with the muzzle behind the line.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I used the Primos Tight Wad this past weekend and was very pleased. The bird just sat down and didn't move. For $20 it worked as well as can be expected.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: little indian

My buddy & neighbor is Steve Conover. He shoots for Indian Creek. I have4 IC tubes myself. They will flat shoot. Mike & Stuart can tell you what will work best in your gun. In my 935, I put 227 pellets in a 10" circle with Hevi-13, 3.5" #6's, 2 1/4 oz shot. With Winchester HV 3.5 " #6's, I put 157in a 10" circle. Both were shot at a measured 40 yds. with the muzzle behind the line.

Little Indian

Steve helped me tremendously on the NWTF forum when I was setting up my Mossberg 835. He truly is a wealth of knowlegde and is so generous with it. I ended upgoing witha Star Dot .676 for this gun and it threw 246 hits with the Nitro triplex load 2.25 oz load at 40 yards. I realize this is a lot of #7 shot but this gun will flat kill a turkey at 50+ which is all I want.

I will be setting up another gun for my son when he graduates from the 20 gauge and I will definitely go Indian Creek. If I am not mistaken they will let you return a choke for another one of different diameter if you are not satisfied.

One question: were those this years version of Hevi-shot #6s? I've read recently on the NWTF forum that guys aren't satisfied with what Environmetals has done with the 2008 Hevi-shot loads.

Mouthcaller
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Mouthcaller,

Yes these are this years Hevi-13. There are 4 differant loads of H-13. There are two 3" loads a 1.75 oz and a 2 oz. There are two 3.5" loads a 1.75 & a 2.25 oz. Stay away from the 1.75 oz. 3" & the 1.75 oz 3.5". The 2 oz & 2.25 oz loads are the best. Don't waste your money.

Yes, Steve will help anyone on shooting. He will even tell you other chokes to try other than Indian Creek. He will give you an honest answer, not just try to get you to buy a certain choke.

I have never tried the Nitro's. I just can't see paying that for shells, when the Winchester HV will shoot great. You can only kill a turkey so dead.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got an Indian Creek on the way right now. It's going in an 870 SPS Turkey with the new ShurShot stock on it. I've got a list of loads to try out of it, this weekend I will get it sighted in and patterned. As of now I'll shoot the following loads and pick whatever puts the most lead into a 10" circle at 40 yards.

3" #6 Winchester Xtended Range HD's
3.5" #5 Winchester Supremes
3.5" WingmasterHD 1.75" #6's
3.5" Hevi 2.25oz #6's

I expect the Hevi load to be the winner here, but we will know more this weekend! I'll post something up here once it's done.

Quick Reply: help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.