Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol >

help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

How small is the pattern if you have to shoot a turkey at 15 steps??? This is what would bother me, if you are talking about a 3-4 inch pattern, the downside at that close range may be worse than the upside at the longer ranges...

How far away will you take a shot at a turkey??? I feel that 40 yards is a good outside range...I have seen them killed out to 58 yards with Federal Premium #5s...I wouldn't shoot that far, but the bird did hit the ground...

If you can consistantly put 8-10 pellets into the head and neck at 40 yards you can consistantly kill turkeys...

If you want to kill birds out to 50-60 yards then you need to go with the more premium chokes and loads...

It's kinda like a deer rifle, if you can hit a 4-5 inch circle at 300 yards, you can consistantly kill deer at that range...

If you want to keep them into a 2-3 inch circle at 300 yards, you better have your "stuff" together....
You ain't telling me nothing I don't know already hawkeye!

My pattern at 15 yards is about the size of a pie plate... thats the WHOLE THING... no flyers outside it... the main part of the patter is about the size of a tea saucer (~ 6" in diameter).

My solution.... I have a scope on my gun. Every bird I've missed in my life has been inside 15 yards.

That said.... how far away will I shoot a turkey... I prefer not to shoot until they are inside 35 yards... why..... well thats just me, I like to get them in close. Its sort of like super tuning a race car just to drive it to and from work each day. I think I like playing with different loads/chokes just to see what I can make it do. Never hurts to have a little more than you need.