Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol >

help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Indian

I will tell you why I shoot Nitros - because I've never shot anything that performed like them, either at the range or in the field. They give me the confidence that when that 835 goes bang a dead turkey is flopping at any reasonable range. I'vetakenfive 1-shot turkeyswith them the last two years including clean kills at 51 and 63 steps (I've previously admitted the 63 yarder was a mistake as I'm getting used to the scope).

Before moving to Nitros I shot Hevi-13in the 2005 seasonand liked them. They performed well on the two turkeys I took that year but the ranges were close anyway so it really didn't matter. They were only making the 1.75 oz load then for the 12 gauge 3.5". In 2006 they came out with the 2.25 oz load for the 3.5" 12 gauge but they were poorly distributed and I was never able to get my hands on any. For that reason I tried the Nitros and, after the success I have experienced with them, I will likely never go back. If I could have found some of those 2.25 oz Hevi-Shot loads to start the 2006 season I may still be shooting them.

As for the cost, well, to each his own. There is a local Nitro distributer here in my hometown so the shells are easy to get and I don't pay any shipping. I'm spending so much on gasoline thisyear that the $25.00 for the 5 shells I bought for this season seems rather minor. I shoot one when I catch a warm day preseason to make sure my zero is still good and the other 4 should do me (the limit in Tennessee is 4 gobblers). I don't load three Nitros, just one in the chamber and then back it up with cheaper lead shells. So far in 2007 I've killed three birds and have one more Nitro left for hopefully my fourth and finalone (fingers crossed).
Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend that shoots an IC choke. I think it's the BDS .665 and with Hevi 13 Bronze, his loads are so close to my Jelly Head/Nitro 4x5x7 that it's really too close to call. Very impressive patterns. He shoots a Browning Gold.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: little indian
Stay away from the 1.75 oz. 3" & the 1.75 oz 3.5". The 2 oz & 2.25 oz loads are the best. Don't waste your money.

I've got 207 reasons that fit into a 10" circle at 40 yards that says the 3.5" 1 3/4oz Hevi-13s ain't quite as big a waste of money as you may think....

Every gun shoots different loads a bit differently... and while I haven't put any of the 2.25oz loads through her yet, I'd be the first to vouch for the 1 3/4ozs as a heck of a great load through my gun.

Keep in mind too that there are about 375 pellets of #6 in that 1 3/4oz load... do the % math and I'll bet you'll find that % wise its pretty tough to beat.

Although, like you illuded too... I have heard things about the new gold/bronze shell hevi-13s... the ones I'm shooting are green hulled. I've been most pleased with them.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Mouthcaller & Swampcollie,

I will try Nitro's when I run out of my 20 ga good stuff. Steve has been getting over 200 hits at 40 yds. with straight 7's form Nitro.

I haven't shot the "green" shell. It is from past years. The info. I gave was for the current loads. They have "bronze" & "Gold" shells. I have some of the old "white" shells that all others are judged against. They at 1.75 oz.

Regardless of what you shoot. Pattern it and know how your gun shoots.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was having some problems patterning, couldn't get a decent load/choke combo. I finally broke down and bought some Hevi-13s in 3" and 3.5", 2 oz and 2.25 oz #6s respectively. The 3.5" shells put 165 in 10" @ 40 yards with my jellyhead. It ain't broke no more, so I don't plan on fixin' anything. I've got a 20" 835.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

How small is the pattern if you have to shoot a turkey at 15 steps??? This is what would bother me, if you are talking about a 3-4 inch pattern, the downside at that close range may be worse than the upside at the longer ranges...

How far away will you take a shot at a turkey??? I feel that 40 yards is a good outside range...I have seen them killed out to 58 yards with Federal Premium #5s...I wouldn't shoot that far, but the bird did hit the ground...

If you can consistantly put 8-10 pellets into the head and neck at 40 yards you can consistantly kill turkeys...

If you want to kill birds out to 50-60 yards then you need to go with the more premium chokes and loads...

It's kinda like a deer rifle, if you can hit a 4-5 inch circle at 300 yards, you can consistantly kill deer at that range...

If you want to keep them into a 2-3 inch circle at 300 yards, you better have your "stuff" together....
Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

hawkeye

The choice to set up a gun to maximize downrange pellet counts does come at a cost, which is a very small "pattern" at closer ranges. One accepts that as part of the bargain. I don't know what my pattern is at 10-15 yards, but with the scope I'm using (1.75 X 4 and I leave it on 1.75 power 95% of the time) I am confident that it can hit a turkeys head with it. I make darn sure the turkey isn't moving too.

The equalizer is a better aiming device than a single bead on top of a ribbed barrel shotgun. Whether you prefer a traditional scope, iron sights, fiber optic sights, halosight or red dot, these super tight patterns require more precise aiming than a single bead will allow.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, to a point...I was just letting the poster know that everything comes at a cost...

I used to kill turkeys with an old 2 3/4 inch double barrel, with a full and modified choked barrel...

I see so many hunters trying to get technology to do their hunting for them...
Makes me wonder if they really enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of a good turkey hunt...
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hawkeye

Point well taken.

The choice to return to more primitivefirearms is an individual one. I enjoy deer hunting with a muzzleloader and often hunt withit during the "rifle" season in Tennessee. Someday I would like to buy a muzzleloading shotgun and turkey hunt with it.

The advancements in shotgun/load/choke technology has really given a boost to the 20 gauge shooter. My son's gun, an 870 youth20 gaugewth the short barrel and primos tightwad choke, is a 35-40 yard gun shooting Nitro 4X5X7s. Tht is a big advantage for him and I see no reason not to utilize it. He is strong enough to shoot a 12 ga. but his arms aren't long enough to hold it up very long. He absolutely hammered a nice gobbler on opening day of the youth season aat somewhere around 25-28 yards. That little 20 is a real pleasure to carry around and with performance like that I would like to experiment with it.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzleloaders are my first love.....I started this one in '88...Finished in '90...

Quick Reply: help me not waste 70 BUCKS on a choke tube!!!!lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.