Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 First Tom story and pics >

First Tom story and pics

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Tom story and pics

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default First Tom story and pics

I am not a turkey hunter byand stretchbut if time allows,I will go.I have only killed 1 jake before today and I shot this tom within about 60-70 yards from where I killed the jake a couple years ago(didn't hunt turkeys last year).

I have logged in about 45 minutes TOTAL on this spot and killed 2 birds.

Here is the latest,a 21 1/2# bird with a 9" beard and 1" spurs. Sorry about the poor pic but I was on a timer and didn't have a good place for the camera.

The story is kinda interesting.I was driving down the road at about 10:30and saw a tom getting ready to cross the road onto our property.I drove down a little more and saw another bird strutting in a field on the property across another road.I thought to myself then,one of these birds is going to head straight for this paticular spot so I drove down to the entrance and walked 20 minutes to get setup where I thought the first bird I saw was heading.I setup,took a breath and started doing a little light calling.I called about 5 minutes tops and heard nothing but sat there another 5-10 minutes and heard something behind me across the creek,where I just came from.I took my time and about another 5 minutes later was able to get my head against the tree and get it turned.I saw a hen behind me at about 30 yards.I thought to myself,great,live bait.I continued to scan with my eyes and noticed a strutter about 60 yards behind her.I WAS STUCK IN THIS POSITION for atleast 20 minutes while the hen worked behind me and I believe crossed the creek but I lost sight of her.HE stayed in sight the whole time and was strutting across the creek and scratching.Once he got about 20 yards behind me,he noticed my single hen decoy in the field in front of me.He worked around on the other side of the creek and strutted and just didn't act like he wanted to cross but I sit tight and finally I think he just couldn't stand it anymore and walked across the shallow creek and passed about 3 yards from me,then he stepped up to the edge of the field and it seemed like he lost interest at that point and stepped into the field and started heading the other way,NOT ALARMED just headed away from me,which I needed him to get some distance,then when he got about 15-17 yards out,I swung and put the hammer down.

I feel this is probably the same bird I saw getting ready to cross the road onto our property first.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First Tom story and pics

congrats!
great bird
Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM

congrats
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Bird, Cool Story!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a great bird.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome!! congrats!! great bird too!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice... congrats...

Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice bird. Congrats on your successful hunt.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulations - sound like you have a great spot to hunt. When can I go.

Just kidding.

Well done.

Mouthcaller

Quick Reply: First Tom story and pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.