Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wingbone call offer

Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wingbone call offer

Ship them anyway you would like. I would suggest wrapping them in a plastic bag first. You can also boil them yourselves and just send me the 3 bones. Doesn't matter to me.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

While I have many many Wingbones calls to do this year and only have use of one arm for a bit - it has put me way behind.
Bull keep going - have at er! And how about we use this thread to teach others?

I have been re-editing my old "How to Make your Own Wingbone" post. Was adding all the tricks I learned in the past 5 yrs of doing this. So if you have questions bring them on.

Shipping wings
It is best to freeze in Newspaper before shipping.
Why Newspaper?
Well Bull will get wings in he won't be able to get to and they will start to stink if he don't freeze them. In newspaper this will help. If the wings are already stinky then do put in plastic and freeze. As Bull stated it helps to boil first yourself – just helps speed up the process.

No one has ever had a problem shipping me wings even from Canada!

Yes Hen wing bones are smaller and it is a higher pitched call - but a call can be tuned! I can even make a Ole Tom bone get a higher pitch! Might need to teach that! Bull your ideas?

This oughta be fun!

Like Bull I have just given them away and owe a few folks here and they will come. I have never ever sold one and won't. But will trade and barter.

JW

Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM

What about a wing that is over a year old???

Can you still make one from that???
Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FLboy77

What about a wing that is over a year old???

Can you still make one from that???
Sure can!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

While I have many many Wingbones calls to do this year and only have use of one arm for a bit - it has put me way behind.
Bull keep going - have at er! And how about we use this thread to teach others?

I have been re-editing my old "How to Make your Own Wingbone" post. Was adding all the tricks I learned in the past 5 yrs of doing this. So if you have questions bring them on.

Shipping wings
It is best to freeze in Newspaper before shipping.
Why Newspaper?
Well Bull will get wings in he won't be able to get to and they will start to stink if he don't freeze them. In newspaper this will help. If the wings are already stinky then do put in plastic and freeze. As Bull stated it helps to boil first yourself – just helps speed up the process.

No one has ever had a problem shipping me wings even from Canada!

Yes Hen wing bones are smaller and it is a higher pitched call - but a call can be tuned! I can even make a Ole Tom bone get a higher pitch! Might need to teach that! Bull your ideas?

This oughta be fun!

Like Bull I have just given them away and owe a few folks here and they will come. I have never ever sold one and won't. But will trade and barter.

JW
Your right JW this will be lots of fun!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 PM

Should make this a Sticky at the top.
Bill
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

Are you going to make a Post of how to make a Call?

I made one once out of a Fall Hen. Just use the Little Bone, at that time I didn't kow the trick of making the 3 Piece style. I Boiled it in water like you said. My biggest problem was getting out that Greasy Bone Marrow(yuck) when I would suck on it....LoL I don't think I had any Pipe Cleaners. Is that what you both use?

My questions would be how to Glue the Joints togeather and what kind of Glue do you use? Also is their a better way of Cleaning out the Middle of those Bones? Oh, and how do you get a higher Pitch out of a Tom's Wing Bone? How Long does it take for a Wing Bone to dry? Can you Dry them in a Microwave? Thanks for sharing!

TF
Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 PM

bullmoose, thanks for giving back to the site! i remember when jw first offered and everyone was pleased (ive had a few names on the site because i couldnt remember my password and changed email addresses!). i love to see hunters giving back to hunters. if i get a gob you got it man
Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM

I took JW up on his offer for my KY bird two years ago now, and I still look at it daily. They look amazing to me. Generous offer, and I'll be in touch if I happen to luck out and tag a bird this spring. Season opens tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

[Quote]Are you going to make a Post of how to make a Call?
Yes – I had to change Internet Providers and my picture hosting sight is new – I need to totally re-do that post. So I aksed HNI to unpin it.

I made one once out of a Fall Hen. Just use the Little Bone, at that time I didn't kow the trick of making the 3 Piece style. I Boiled it in water like you said. My biggest problem was getting out that Greasy Bone Marrow(yuck) when I would suck on it....LoL I don't think I had any Pipe Cleaners. Is that what you both use? Also is their a better way of Cleaning out the Middle of those Bones

Yes is what I use and for the middle bone (Ulna) I found a coffee pot stem cleaner brush at a hardware store. Now once I boil and try to take off as much meat – have cut knuckle ends off I soak to start with in hot water and Sodium Carbonate (Van-Dykes is a source). One could use borax. I then will go to the sink and with a grease-cutting dish soap clean out marrow the best I can. If it is still greasy I keep trying. I then soak in a 3% Hydrogen peroxide straight out of the bottle a day or two. This also helps cut grease and whitens the bone – DO NOT USE BLEACH! Bleach will cause the bone to flake - powder

My questions would be how to Glue the Joints together and what kind of Glue do you use?

I use Devon 5 minute two tube mix clear epoxy. To fit bones I use both a Dremel tool with a conical grinding bit and use a table top belt sander to shave the outside of the bones so the fit into each other. Now some don’t like epoxy glue as they say the chemical reaction generates to much heat and cracks the bones. My call are dry fitted snuggly – NOT FORCE FITTED. If you need to force one bone into the other trim more off.
Another way of securing one bone to another is thread wrap.

Oh, and how do you get a higher Pitch out of a Tom's Wing Bone?

I actually glue the mouthpiece shut and redrill the opening till I get the pitch I like. This will change tone a bit – but again the smaller the mouthpiece diameter – the higher the pitch. The shorter you keep the over all call in length also affects tone.

How Long does it take for a Wing Bone to dry?
[/b]
A few days I let them air dry after my process
[/b]

Can you Dry them in a Microwave?

No and I would not do this

JW

Quick Reply: Wingbone call offer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.