Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Lady turkey hunter, going for first time Sat! >

Lady turkey hunter, going for first time Sat!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lady turkey hunter, going for first time Sat!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Lady turkey hunter, going for first time Sat!

Hey everyone! I have always wanted to go turkey hunting with husband, but not sure if he took me seriously, but regardless, I am going Sat, opening day, and am VERY excited. I am rocking the targets LOL! I know it will be totally different when I shoot at the real deal. So I want comments, esp from lady hunters, telling me how their first hunt was and what I can expect. Thanks to all and good luck!! Oh, and if ANYONE can tell me where to buy reasonably priced ladies hunting clothes that would be great too. I have checked lots of places and sites but so far am no impressed! Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lady turkey hunter, going for first time Sat!

ORIGINAL: sjledford

Oh, and if ANYONE can tell me where to buy reasonably priced ladies hunting clothes that would be great too. I have checked lots of places and sites but so far am no impressed! Thanks again!
My girlfriend Rebecca and you definately share common ground there. Half the time she ends up wearing little boys XL stuff.

Rebecca started turkey hunting with me last year.... her advice would be probably to get comfortable... good vest/seat... treat your clothes with pematone or however you spell it to avoid ticks... and that its ok to take a nap. She is ate up with it.... good luck.. its addictive!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
JW
Super Moderator

As I shared when we chatted - good luck!

JW
Old 04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck,
and don't get discouraged if everything doesn't all come together right away. We all come home empty handed, the challenge makes the reward so much sweeter when we do score!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sjledford

Hey everyone! I have always wanted to go turkey hunting with husband, but not sure if he took me seriously, but regardless, I am going Sat, opening day, and am VERY excited. I am rocking the targets LOL! I know it will be totally different when I shoot at the real deal. So I want comments, esp from lady hunters, telling me how their first hunt was and what I can expect. Thanks to all and good luck!! Oh, and if ANYONE can tell me where to buy reasonably priced ladies hunting clothes that would be great too. I have checked lots of places and sites but so far am no impressed! Thanks again!
First I answered your post about gun fit: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2604994&mpage=1&=#2757027Secondly this is a site my wife recommends & I trust her judgement: http://www.shesafari.com/In my experience ladies do very well turkey hunting as it requires patience; whichthey typically have far more of than men. My wife & I really enjoy hunting together. She doesn't care to hunt big game but dearly loves to hunt Turkey, Upland Birds, & chase Rabbits with our Beagles. Also don't worry if you don't connect on Saturday; the turkey will have another day but so will you. FWIW with all the hunting I do, big game, small game, upland birds, waterfowl, & turkey; I'd rather turkey hunt with my wife! Good luck to you & your husband! (BTW, what state are you hunting in?)
Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 PM

You go girl! I'm a women hunter too and just have so much fun turkey hunting. I shot my first turkey in 2000 (a jake at 15 yards). My boss at work called it in for me around 8:30am. My husband also shot his first turkey ever the same morning about 7am. It was a memorable crazy thrilling morning.

You two are going to have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun! Turkey or not you will have fun. This will be one step toward many wonderful hours in the woods together (and by yourself ). So many good times and good stories. Good luck this Saturday. I will be looking forward to hearing how it went.

As far as clothing, I wear small or medium men's camo. I don't have any problem with that as outer wear. For the underneath layers, I buy most of my technical clothing from Campmor's discount department. Lots of women's clothing to choose from there.

Have fun!
Diane
Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

You can expect the hebesheebees (incresed heart rate, shaking, shallow breaths etc) hehehehehe. No kidding. Just remember to remain calm. Its hard to do. Concentrate on your target...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 PM

All kidding aside... Watch out for ticks!! My girl got into a bed of seed ticks with me the other day.... and the whole thing got called off quick.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

just enjoy yourself.....thats what it boils down too........
Old 04-10-2008, 05:38 AM

hope you the best girl. becareful and always identify your target and squeese the trigger.
it is always nice to see the lady hunters get into the sport.
My wife has hunted with me for many years and loves all kinds of hunting.she has taken 4 gobblers with her bow,so she is getting prety good.

best of luck.

Quick Reply: Lady turkey hunter, going for first time Sat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.