Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 midday till 6:00 p.m hunting question >

midday till 6:00 p.m hunting question

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

midday till 6:00 p.m hunting question

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default midday till 6:00 p.m hunting question

ok my brother and Dad are going turkey hunting this saturday (opening day) in the morning, i have to take the ACt test that morning therefore im going after it so about maybe 1:00 ill be in the woods my question is what are some strategies for this type of hunting? I mean i've never hunted afternoons or midday only mornings so what can I do? any advice would be really appreciated
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Default RE: midday till 6:00 p.m hunting question

well, at least in georgia where I'm at we don't get too many gobbles in the afternoon. our strategy is to set out some decoys(Jake and hen setup)and call about every thirty minutes not too aggressively, maybe some purring and clucking, and the occasional yelp. we usually either set up on a field where we know they may be coming to, or try to get in a position to where you can intersect them on their way to the roost. most of our birds will sneak in very quietly in the afternoon, so make sure you sit real still and have patience. personally I enjoy morning hunts much more.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

yea I like morning hunts too thanks so much for the info, where I hunt theres alot I mean alot of hardwoods and there is maybe 1 or 2 little spaces where there are no trees so maybe do you think there is where they are strutting? or maybe I should check for scratching marks before I go hunting dont you think?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM

GON,

I love the mid-day hunt. Early in the season in Oklahoma the toms will typically hen up with the ladies for a while in the morning. They are not impossible to hunt, but I like to give the ladies a chance to ease off and sit. This leaves those lonely toms some time to troll. I like to set up in likely strutting areas with a couple of decoys and give em a call, butnothing too aggressive or too often.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I kill most of my toms in the 11:00-2:00 time period. I usually do a little cutting and running or walking around and using a box call every 150-200 yards. When i hear a gobble, i set up there and then use calls sparingly. I have killed 15 or so birds that way and have guided 3 that way already this year. Remember to call sparingly though after you set up.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just set up a few decoys, sit down and start calling using yelps and clucks... Good luck
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I also prefer mid to late day hunts - I set up on edges of fields or kknow trueky travels routes. I sue a few decoys but do not use Jake decoys - I have used a struttin tom decoy tho. Those jake decoys have turned away one to many good Toms IMO.

Late day hunts in my area I hunt the birds start back into the edges of fields to feed heavlily before fly up or roost time. I will also sit in areas I know hens are roosting as her Tom will make the circuit to chekc his ladies at times and I sue this to my advanage.

But anytime out there is better than no time - AND do WELL on your ACTs! That is one step closer to securing a job after college to which pyas you to feed your passion of turkey hunting!

Good Luck!
JW