Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Videotaping hunts

Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Videotaping hunts

How exactly does one video tape a hunt, do you use a seperate person to run the camera all the time or can you rig one up next to you to run?
I'd like to tape a hunt and don't know how to go about doing it.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Videotaping hunts

I tape my with a Sony mini cam. Quality is not as good as what yo see on TV but hey - I can go back to camp and show the boys what I let go - so is like tape - whack in my mind and release! Boy it makes em mad too! Camp buddies that is.

Most times the video is choppy as I put the camera down. In the blind I use a camera stand with the camera low and looking out one of the blind windows. I am looking for a gun mount.

JW
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

JW... are you talking Turkey or Deer? If Both I am impressed, I let 2 Jakes go one season and I will always regret it. The next year I Got Skunked[:@]These Mo. birds have been hard as of late for me. Where do you hunt? I have been to KS the last 2 years and have Doubled 4 Straight times. Not Great Rio's but, we were happy after going that far to hunt. Those Rio's came in like on a String. Like I rememeber the Mo. Birds did in the 70's

TF
Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year im using a camera Tripod and im just using a cheap JVC video camera... So we'll see how it goes, i start next wed. till sunday so hopefulyl i'll get something! good luck to you
Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

If I am hunting out of a tree stand I usea yukon camera arm. Got it from Cabelas and it works great. I took it to Canada and got my bear hunt on video all by myself. Had it with me during bow season and I let a big doe walk out of the screen before I shot (I was so mad at myself) wasn't 30 minutes a 130" 10 pt walked in and I was afraid to move the camera so I just let the arrow fly. If I am hunting out of my double bull blind I have a cheap tripod from Wal-Mart. It is cool to look back at previous hunts.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 AM

It's hard to film yourself turkey hunting since you have to be so careful about movement and depending on how the birds come in, you will have to follow them with them camera. Have you thought about one of the little lipstick cameras that you can attach to your gun?

This spring I'vehad twolongbeards bolt because they saw a glare off the camera lens or something ... we did not even bat our eyes, but something about the camera spooked 'em - could have been that very slight movement of keeping the camera on them, 'ya just never know.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

My friend and i tape all of our hunts. One has the gun while the other is working the tripod. I am 5 for 5 the last 5 years on 1st day of turkey so i am taking the 1st day off to run the camera this year so my buddy can get his 1st spring bird. If hunting alone i either set up the tripod and camera on my deke's or we both also have a mount that attached to your gun or bow for self filming.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:36 PM

I'm working on a hunting video blog and just last weekend I think i perfected shooting video during a turkey hunt - at least with decoys - there's two of us, my friend is the 'gunner' (he kills the bird) and i'm the shooter. I use two cameras - the first is a handheld which i cover in camo, the other is on a tripod dressed with camo and it's set up with a wide shot on the decoys. I use a remote to turn it on or off. I throw down some leaves or sticks to mark where the edge of the frame is, and the gunner, if possible doesn't shoot until we've coaxed a tom into that area. Of course, that's not always possible, and that's what the handheld is for. It worked out pretty well for us....though im curious if anyone has ever set up shop in a tree stand over decoys to get video for a turkey hunt....seems like that could work pretty well if you're not on the move.

http://huntingwithjim.com
Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 AM

i need a camera. lol

anyone wanna hook me up? reasonably priced
Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most times the video is choppy as I put the camera down. In the blind I use a camera stand with the camera low and looking out one of the blind windows. I am looking for a gun mount.
This is the one I'm going to use.......seems like it works pretty good, and has a built in shock absorbing design to handle the recoil and protect your camera.
I have one ready to go for next weekend.

http://www.deerridgeinnovations.com/

Quick Reply: Videotaping hunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.