Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!! >

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

They are in Wi. Thats why it is required to buy and have a Federal Turkey Stamp in order to hunt turkeys in Wi. I dont knwo about other states but they considered a federal migratory game bird in Wi. Not sure why though, the only migrating I ever seen them do is from field to field [&:]. Just more ways for the DNR to get more cash.....
ORIGINAL: shamlin

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Being a turkey is a federal migratory bird, I beleive its against the law to use any rifle on a turkey no matter what state you hunt in. Shotguns, bows, and cross bows are the onlyweapons legal to use in most states. but check deeper for your state. you dont want any federal charges against you.
I am pretty sure Turkeys are not federal migratory birds.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are in Wi. Thats why it is required to buy and have a Federal Turkey Stamp in order to hunt turkeys in Wi. I dont knwo about other states but they considered a federal migratory game bird in Wi. Not sure why though, the only migrating I ever seen them do is from field to field [&:]. Just more ways for the DNR to get more cash.....

Being a turkey is a federal migratory bird, I beleive its against the law to use any rifle on a turkey no matter what state you hunt in. Shotguns, bows, and cross bows are the onlyweapons legal to use in most states. but check deeper for your state. you dont want any federal charges against you.
That's not a Federal stamp, just another tax. Money probably earmarked for habitat. It's not Federal we don't need one in Illinois.

Oh and on the topic of rifles, I wouldn't do it. That law in Fla sounds like you can use rimfire,but not centerfire. I'd call the DNR office, but even that doesn't always work. The office tells you one thing and the CO in the field tells you another. It may still end up being a court date.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not a federal stamp

can be attributed to hunters through their purchase of the Wild Turkey Stamp which provides vital financial support in providing for future opportunities for turkey management and hunting in Wisconsin. Since wild turkeys were first successfully reintroduced into Wisconsin in 1976, population levels continue to increase and expand statewide. Successful restoration of the wild turkey resulted from tremendous hunter and landowner support, good survival, and high quality habitat. Turkey stamp funds have been providing opportunities for turkey management in Wisconsin since 1995. Sale of the turkey stamp currently brings in over $500,000 annually for developing, managing, conserving, restoring, and maintaining the wild turkey population within the state.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
JW
Super Moderator

The Wisconsin State Turkey Stamp - one must purchase as part of thier license to be able to hunt is just a state stamp~ federal see no benefit at all. There is no Federal Turkey satmp needed as of yet!

All Stamps, permits, licenese soldby anystate is another mark of a license sold so that the state can recieve money back from the Robertson-Pittman act. FYI

AND TURKEYS ARE NOT CONSIDERED A MIGRATORY BIRD. Never where!

JW
Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 AM

There are many states that let you shoot turkey with a rifle, so it is for sure not a federal thing. And turkeys do not migrate, they barely fly. Sort of like a big chicken really. Normally what type of weapon they let you hunt with is going to be determined by the turkey populating and how safe it is.

It sort of looks like you can do it with a rifle in Florida, but it is sort of vague. Not long ago I looked up the regs for every state and some states are very vague, others were very specific. If I where you and you where worried about getting in trouble for it I would simply call someone and ask. Seems like the most simple solution to me.

As far as if you should do it or not? Why do others care how someone else hunts? Most of you guys bashing this guy gun hunt for deer right? Step over to the bowhunting forum and see what those guys think of that. Or Lord forbid use a crossbow![] As long it's legal do what you want. I don't care if you use a grenade launcher if they are legal.

As far hunting one or buying one from a store, that pretty much applies to anyone. Hunting turkey for food is pretty pointless really considering the price of turkey in the store. You are basically doing it just so you can kill a turkey. If you want to kid yourself feel free but I'm not buying it and neither will the Anti's.

Paul
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still say legal or not, it aintturkey hunting.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It amazes me to see how many guys think that thier way is the only way. I'm better than you because I hunt them the harder way and use a weapon that limits how far I can shoot effectively, or I don't use a blind, or I don't use a feeder.
For all the guys that use shotguns with 3" or 3.5" shells, you know there's plenty of guys that use bows and think you're way is cheating. And for all the guys using compound bows, you know there are guys using recurves and think you're way is cheating.
Unbeleiveable that so many hunters look down their noses at other hunters that choose a different weapon and different way of hunting. It's getting to be about time that we all support each other, as long as each of us is doing our way within the legal means of the state/province that we are hunting in.
It IS hunting no matter the choice of weapon. Maybe not how you do it, but it's shame that you would look down your nose because it's the way someone else does it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Good post Howler. Snook if it's legal, knock your socks off.
Tip the bird over, so this thread will go bye, bye.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

That's not a Federal stamp, just another tax. Money probably earmarked for habitat. It's not Federal we don't need one in Illinois.

Oh and on the topic of rifles, I wouldn't do it. That law in Fla sounds like you can use rimfire,but not centerfire. I'd call the DNR office, but even that doesn't always work. The office tells you one thing and the CO in the field tells you another. It may still end up being a court date.
Federal means nation wide as in Federal Government.
WI is a state, as in State Govenment
Anything that is federal would apply to the NATION not just WI.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: JW!

I agree with Charlie - you never got past the first two words in the regulations - "Using Centerfire" - it don't matter how many rounds that gun holds - even one is Illegal.

JW

in Fl. a rifle is legal as long as it doesn't hold over 5 shells.also you have to be at least 100 yards from a feed station.
[blockquote]quote:

Using centerfire,[/blockquote]
that about say's it doesn't it? Why would you want to shoot a turkey at 200 yards anyway?
thats the BIG question; why???????????
getting them in close is what it's all about.I had my decoy shot right in front of me,it was only 20 yards from my face.
after that I got rifles banned in our club.
I am not totally against rifles; just don't use them myself , just because of that idiot thet could have killed me and never knew I was there.

(FIRLES ARE LEGAL IN FLA.)

Quick Reply: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.