Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!! >

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

These are two fine Florida Gobblers taken at 70 yards with rifles. It's legal, been legal for a long, long time!

Go get them and post the pictures!

It still tastes good no matter what you use to kill it.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Goose 11

These are two fine Florida Gobblers taken at 70 yards with rifles. It's legal, been legal for a long, long time!

Go get them and post the pictures!

It still tastes good no matter what you use to kill it.

So your saying its fine to shoot a turkey withan assault rifle too, just because the meat tastes the same? Have we forgot the key word here, which is "hunting"?

Ok ok...fine. If you want to shoot a turkey with a rifle (noticeI said "shoot", not "hunt"), go find a Turkey Shooters forum. But we HUNTERS like to congregate on the Turkey Hunting forum, which consists of HUNTERS who respect the bird and learn to develop patience and learn to call in the birds within shooting range to be able to get the "thrill of the hunt" not thrill of the kill.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in WV and have never used a shotgun for turkey, i prefer my .22 Magnum....neither has my dad who has killed several with his .222 remington. By the way he doesn't believe in using any calls, he doesn't feel it's 'sporting' he says he prefers to 'hunt' for his turkey.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

Not in Florida - specifically states in the regs - "shooting a trukey from the roost is illegal."

JW
That was my point... I said "south of the border" meaning Mexico - they were talking about it on a hunting show once (that it was technically legal to shoot the turkey on it roost in Mexico - but they weren't going to do it)....
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

So your saying its fine to shoot a turkey with an assault rifle too, just because the meat tastes the same? Have we forgot the key word here, which is "hunting"?

Ok ok...fine. If you want to shoot a turkey with a rifle (notice I said "shoot", not "hunt"), go find a Turkey Shooters forum. But we HUNTERS like to congregate on the Turkey Hunting forum, which consists of HUNTERS who respect the bird and learn to develop patience and learn to call in the birds within shooting range to be able to get the "thrill of the hunt" not thrill of the kill.

Goose will have to forgive me for speaking for him here.... but no he didn't say its fine to shoot a turkey with an assault rifle... while there are lots of definitions of an assault rifle, the commonly accepted definition (including a high cap magazine) would infact be illegal under Florida law. Goose at no point in his post encouraged anything illegal or even immoral or unethical.

The plain and simple fact here is that his state, as well as several others have deemed it legal to take turkeys with a rifle. Period. Choosing to hunt a turkey with a rifle doesn't make you not a "hunter". By legal definition, purchasing a license and going afield under legal conditions makes you a hunter... or in the states eyes... just buying a license makes you a hunter.

This forum is for anyone who hunts turkeys, under any and all legal conditions... that includes fall hunts with dogs, spring hunts with guns, archery tackle, and yes.... rifle hunters as well. If you don't like the cook, get da hell up out da kitchen.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My complete agreeance... I have quarms about people who deer hunt with rifles or shoot over 50 yards at just about anything...
But, as long as its within the legal right of a sportsman to take to the field and enjoy the sport within the boundaries of the law....
I have no complaint, if its legal to rig claymores and blow turkeys off your plantation, have fun... I ain't gonna do it... but go for it if its legal.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sixgunluvr

I hunt in WV and have never used a shotgun for turkey, i prefer my .22 Magnum....neither has my dad who has killed several with his .222 remington. By the way he doesn't believe in using any calls, he doesn't feel it's 'sporting' he says he prefers to 'hunt' for his turkey.

That's got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

ORIGINAL: sixgunluvr

That's got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
yeah, thats pretty dumb

Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

So your saying its fine to shoot a turkey with an assault rifle too, just because the meat tastes the same? Have we forgot the key word here, which is "hunting"?

Ok ok...fine. If you want to shoot a turkey with a rifle (notice I said "shoot", not "hunt"), go find a Turkey Shooters forum. But we HUNTERS like to congregate on the Turkey Hunting forum, which consists of HUNTERS who respect the bird and learn to develop patience and learn to call in the birds within shooting range to be able to get the "thrill of the hunt" not thrill of the kill.

Goose will have to forgive me for speaking for him here.... but no he didn't say its fine to shoot a turkey with an assault rifle... while there are lots of definitions of an assault rifle, the commonly accepted definition (including a high cap magazine) would infact be illegal under Florida law. Goose at no point in his post encouraged anything illegal or even immoral or unethical.

The plain and simple fact here is that his state, as well as several others have deemed it legal to take turkeys with a rifle. Period. Choosing to hunt a turkey with a rifle doesn't make you not a "hunter". By legal definition, purchasing a license and going afield under legal conditions makes you a hunter... or in the states eyes... just buying a license makes you a hunter.

This forum is for anyone who hunts turkeys, under any and all legal conditions... that includes fall hunts with dogs, spring hunts with guns, archery tackle, and yes.... rifle hunters as well. If you don't like the cook, get da hell up out da kitchen.
Preach it Sawmpman, preach it.

I agree, 100%. While you will never in a million years catch me turkey hunting with a rifle, who cares if others do it legally?

The only concern I have with it is safety, If rifles are allowed, I believe hunter orange should be a neccessity. I'd likely not hunt with decoys if rifles were allowed around me either.

Quick Reply: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.