Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I got my first ever turkey today.. >

I got my first ever turkey today..

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I got my first ever turkey today..

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM

Default RE: I got my first today..

Congrats on your first bird. He's a dandy and you should be proud.
But come on dude, give us a story!!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok..

I shot it at a public WMA 30 miles away..The Green Swamp.

After a 1 1/2 mile hike into the swamp..I hear for the first time EVER ..the gobbling of a male turkey..I built a quick camo blind..and got out my Primos Freak..I returned the gobble with some yelping..After about 25 times of going back and forth..mixing mine with some cutting..it seemed his gobbles cam e from 100 yds to now within 50 yds..My gun is now up..It's been along 45 minutes of calling..then I spotted a dark shadow and then it disappeared..My shotgun is now on my cheek..and my eyes are clued..I see the turkey ducking and weaving through cypress trees..I've never shot the shells which I have in my gun.They are #4 Remington Nitros..About 25 yds out he steps into a 3 foot wide opening.I squeeze the trigger..he falls down dead.I had about 10 pellets in the neck aea..and only one in the breast..

I can't beleive it..I hike back and the man at the gate does the measuring..my wife and I just got done cleaning it..5 packages of breast meat and legs and carcass for the soup pot.
God is wonderful andI thank Him for setting me up .I wasn't even goingto go..but I kept feeling the inward urge to go..and I'm glad I did,
C7

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats Chuck...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Turkey hunting in the spring is a real rush. Calling in and out foxing an old long beard is quite an accomplishment. Perfect time to be in the woods and watching nature awake from the long winter. Seeing the gray light showing silhouettes of the trees and hearing that first tree yelp followed by a thunderous gobble always does it for me. Tough hunting due to the early hours but every bit as much excitement as deer hunting IMO.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome bird, I think you could try that spot again.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM

congrats on your first bird... you give newbies like me hope!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats over here as well as the COFA site. You answred my question from over there--YOU'RE HOOKED now it's an obsession.
Rocky
Old 04-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first, i'mso happy for you........
Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

Congrats Chuck! My 11 yr old scored his 1st bird this morning also. Will post story and pic tommorrow! I noticed you didn't mention which WMA! SMART MAN, lets keep it to ourselves, 60 miles, isn't Green Swamp, but I have a pretty good idea! LOL Beats pay $1000-$2500 like some yankees we know!no offense to our northern friends! I brought a buddy I met on here from NC that had been paying that kind of money and he scored on a WMA. Said he saw and heard more birds than with the guided hunts...... Great 1st bird man, go right back to the same spot, cuz chances are they will be thru there again tommorrow!
You are gettin close to my house in NC [8D]
Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Chuck is their Gators where you hunt?

Quick Reply: I got my first ever turkey today..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.