HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   nesting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/239382-nesting.html)

huntnma 03-27-2008 01:22 AM

nesting

yesterday i went through the zone we burned the day before,what is the first thing i see, 10 burned eggs...with lil turkeys in them....i had to open one.....then 4 more were found, just yokes though....i know they'll be able to nest again, just kinds sucks seeing them like that....has anyone else seen any nesting yet ?

kingvjack 03-27-2008 04:17 AM

RE: nesting

The weather in the rest of the country is not ready for nesting yet, florida and other southern state'sseason opens this early for a reason.

mouthcaller 03-27-2008 05:49 AM

Our birds won't be nesting 'till later in April

Was it an accidental fire or control burn?

shamlin 03-27-2008 07:53 PM

Generally I start seeing nesting in central GA around the 2-3 week in April. Alot depends on when the weather actually decides it is spring. Thats of course the eastern, the oceola may be diffrent I sure in Fl the starting the breeding much earlier. If they had chicks in the egg they probally have been nesting for at least 2.5 weeks.

Tree climber 03-28-2008 03:25 PM

yep,I saw one nest already.
I see them each year this time when they burn the mang. area.I ask them why they don't burn sooner or later.they said they were trying to kill the palmattos[:o] [:o] [&:] [&:].all the grown nesting birds are already on the nest and the fawns are already born, so[:o][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

nick_bleuer76 03-28-2008 06:08 PM

The have had some turkeys start laying at the farm, so I have been putting them in the incubator, and eating some. Nothing as good as a home grown turkey egg omelet.:D

Mr. Longbeard 04-02-2008 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

The weather in the rest of the country is not ready for nesting yet, florida and other southern state'sseason opens this early for a reason.

I think she already new that DA:eek:

DTC 04-02-2008 04:08 PM

That sucks to have those nest losts to fire. We always break 3-5 nests in our hayfields in the late spring. It just makes me sick but there isn't much I can do.

huntnma 04-02-2008 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

I think she already new that DA:eek:
LOL...yeah i knew that, i should of been more specific when i asked...
Treeclimber-
I feel for the birds and the other little critters lost when burning but in the long run, it's making the habitat better for all of them and with the turkeys, they can re-nest....
when i worked forDEP, we used to lay solid lines, now with FWC, we spot, which helps alot with the intensity and it leaves more escape routes....In May, i'll be going to a 3 day course on burning for wildlife...so i'm really excited about that one.....actually the burn that we did was a marsh burn, usually they don't nest on the marsh, but it was dry and it wasn't too far from the hammock....believe it ornot, we do keep the breeding in mind when we burn, just sometimes, we have such a small window, we have to take it when it's given to us...