Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What Are Nitros?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Default What Are Nitros?

Where can I get these Nitros Shells from? I havenot found them yet? I have heard of Remington Nitros but these are not what you guys are talking about right?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Are Nitros?

http://www.nitrocompany.com/ custom loaded ammo and pretty expensive...but seems that they throw some awesome patterns!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, extremely expensive. Think ill stick with Winchester, good price, awesome results.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Spike

Yeah, they are expensive! This year they are selling for 6.00 a shell here in arkanasas, but they do throw and unbelievable pattern!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 AM

Thanks guys that is what I was looking for.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Nitro ammo is junk - garbage - hype - tooexpensive. Don't bother with it. Buy the cheapest shells you can find they work just as well.

Nitro ammo is a line of custom line of shotgun ammnuntion loaded by "Nitro Ray" who founded the Nitro Company in Mountain Grove, MO. The shells he loads for turkeys exceed factory loadings in both charge weight and performance. He is probably best know for his "triplex" load containg 4s, 5s, and 7s, but he also loads straight 5s, 6s, and 7s. I shoot the 4X5X7 2.25 oz, 3.5" load designed for the Mossberg 835 (Load #H51013M).

I initially strongly resisted the temptation to use these shells because I, like many others, considered them too expensive (approximately $5.00 - $6.00 per shell). When I saw their performance on both paper and turkeys, however, I immediately changed my mind. Five bucks per shell X 3-5 shells per year (hopefully, including a sight confirmation shot) is nothing compared to what I spend on gas alone getting to my hunting spots. Cheap insurance the way I see it. I load one Nitro in the chamber and back it up with 2 "non-Nitro" shells. That way I am for sureonly shooting one Nitro per turkey.

Everyone is different,and many folks consider them too expensive. That's fine with me, because if every turkey hunter tried to buy them I would never be able to get them.

To each his own. That's the beauty of living in this great country of ours.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Nitro ammo is junk - garbage - hype - tooexpensive. Don't bother with it. Buy the cheapest shells you can find they work just as well.

Nitro ammo is a line of custom line of shotgun ammnuntion loaded by "Nitro Ray" who founded the Nitro Company in Mountain Grove, MO. The shells he loads for turkeys exceed factory loadings in both charge weight and performance. He is probably best know for his "triplex" load containg 4s, 5s, and 7s, but he also loads straight 5s, 6s, and 7s. I shoot the 4X5X7 2.25 oz, 3.5" load designed for the Mossberg 835 (Load #H51013M).

I initially strongly resisted the temptation to use these shells because I, like many others, considered them too expensive (approximately $5.00 - $6.00 per shell). When I saw their performance on both paper and turkeys, however, I immediately changed my mind. Five bucks per shell X 3-5 shells per year (hopefully, including a sight confirmation shot) is nothing compared to what I spend on gas alone getting to my hunting spots. Cheap insurance the way I see it. I load one Nitro in the chamber and back it up with 2 "non-Nitro" shells. That way I am for sureonly shooting one Nitro per turkey.

Everyone is different,and many folks consider them too expensive. That's fine with me, because if every turkey hunter tried to buy them I would never be able to get them.

To each his own. That's the beauty of living in this great country of ours.
Good post, that's what I've been saying for years!! But save your breath, seems that many folks still get their feathers ruffled when you mention the price!! What they fail to see is that these shells are the "Holy Grail" in patterning!!!! Good point also on the part about not that many people are buying them, because they would be hard to get for us!! LOL!!
I still have 1/2 box of 25 left, so I'm still set for a couple of seasons.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Spike

I bought them last year and they are as advertised!

I bought a Primos jelly head choke and truthfully that combo is too tight. I shot at a 20 yard target last year and almost completely removed a softball size hole. I will use them as a 2nd or third shell but not the first. Most of the birds that I shoot are within 25 yards and that pattern is just too tight for my liking.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

I put 320-340 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with mine.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

My B-80 loves Nitros...Remington Nitros, $5.88 a box at WalMart...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.