Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Keck Resigns from NWTF

Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Keck Resigns from NWTF

ORIGINAL: hunteditor

While it is understandable all of us are speculating on exactly what went on behind closed doors to bring this about, I would hate to hear these guys get falsely slandered for inappropriate actions for which they are not guilty. Like some of you have said, love them or hate them, they were very good for the NWTF at the time and did a lot of good for the wild turkey resource.
x2

Very well put. I was staying out of this thread for just that reason. Keck is the real deal when it comes to being a turkey hunter, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of folks you'll see on TV (celebrity hunters), and his contributions to the sport we love are, in my opinion, worth far more than what his salary was. He has helped rebuild an organization that will live on far longer than any of us, and it will ensure that wild turkeys, and turkey hunters will still be a part of this country long into the future.

Colin Moore wrote an editorial on the matter at southernsporting.com that echoes some of the sentiments I'm hearing. You might want to check it out. The direct link is: http://www.southernsporting.com/arti...?ArticleID=388

I thought the article was well put. I'm sure that the whole reason and the whole situation will make itself known. It is a bit odd when someone suddenly resigns, and historically speaking there is often a degree of controversial reasoning behind a quick ejection. Whatever his reasons, I personally thank him for what he has done for our sport and our turkey's, and wish him all the best in the future and happy hunting this spring.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Well put Swamp Collie
Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, i really liked that guy too.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Typical Buck

I think it had to do with some those guys were Hunting STATE Ground and the Others was Hunting Private Ground. They were wanting to make it 2 Divisions Public and Private. Keck, said if they couldn't do both he was quiting. The Public-Private Debate is taking over the world of Turkey Hunting.

Key word is think![&o]

Turkey Fife
Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well he did work hard - andI do thank him for the programs he started - but the salary thing really bothers me. At $380,000 - and a John Doe's yearly memberships cost is$30.00 - MAN - that is a lot of members thinking their money is being used to further conservation and not pay for some guy to live.

Do think that is overkill......

JW

Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Id like to know what the guys on the board at the NRA make in a year.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:55 PM

I live in Edgefield county, today in the Augusta Chronicle, it said that in 05 he made $360,765 plus $57,156 in expenses, Brown made $293,858 plus $23,287 expenses, and Rosenlieb made $173,977 and $19,384 for expenses. That was the last year that the complete figures were available. NWTF pulled in 48.1 million in 05. Personally I dont have a problem with what they made, but the expense accounts were very high in my opinion (they could have stated that as part of their salaries). The three top exec's of it didnt pull down quite a million combined. For the foundation to have 48 million that year, it could have been a lot worse than that. They have done a lot for the turkey, bringing them back from near extinction. Today, there are turkeys everywhere, and a lot of that is because of their work. It also stated in the Chronicle that NWTF recieved the highest ratings on how they use the money.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokems

It also stated in the Chronicle that NWTF recieved the highest ratings on how they use the money.
That is a ratio of revenue to resource... or basically how many cents out of every dollar go back to the cause. And I know the NWTF is somewhere above the .80 cents on the dollar mark as to putting money back in to the resource. NWTF is one of the best at spending dollars on making turkeys avavilable to the masses. Delta waterfowl, RMEF and QU are good about that as well.

But.....

If you compare that to DU (which fluctuates), it may seem low. DU usually puts somewhere around.85-.90cents on the dollar back into the ducks (I've seen it as low as .70 cents though)... but... they also take in easily three times what the NWTF does in revenue, and they have a heck of a lot more federal grants and corporate sponsors and a lot of their work (field work) is done by volunteers and graduate students (research and data wise).... and I'd venture a guess that 75% of their money goes to PRIVATELY OWNED projects for the rich to hunt PRIVATELY on. Most of what is left goes to Canada and the PPR. Every single project they have done in my state has been on private land... and thats well over 100 now.