Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbling

Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Default Gobbling

Every early morning the toms will gobble their heads off! Then they shut up! What do you do then? Just wait and listen for them to gobble again? Or will they come in without making any noise? Let me know!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

Default RE: Gobbling

...are you calling to them?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 PM

You keep calling like the lonesome hen you are supposed to be and they will suddenly appear
out of nowhere provided you were not sitting there picking into a bag of sunflower seads or
reading a book out of boredom. Be prepared. They will spend thewhole day in search of a
single unattended female. Wouldn't you? Provided they are not busy already.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen that for an entire season.... that ussually indicates that they are flyin down with a pile of hens... best bet is to set up close to the roost and try and catch em between the roost and a feeding/ strutting area.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

The're flying down to hens. They don't need to gobble anymore once they are strutting in the presence of hens.

I might suggest hunting more in the midday. I've killed many turkeys between 10am and 1 pm. Latter in the season the hens will leave Big Boy to go prepare nests and he will once again be by himself and venerable to calling.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

The're flying down to hens. They don't need to gobble anymore once they are strutting in the presence of hens.

I might suggest hunting more in the midday. I've killed many turkeys between 10am and 1 pm. Latter in the season the hens will leave Big Boy to go prepare nests and he will once again be by himself and venerable to calling.
BINGO!! Wait till the hens are through with him and he's lookin for some more love. They will also gobble sometimes in this situation to try to get a hen to come to them.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FLboy77

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

BINGO!! Wait till the hens are through with him and he's lookin for some more love. They will also gobble sometimes in this situation to try to get a hen to come to them.
yep 100%....also many times when they fly down even if they don't have hens there is just a "quiet time" that i have seen over the years for a while before they will start gobbling again....try and get close or just wait them out some...usually they may start gobbling again a little later....830 on....most turkeys i have killed were later in the afternoon 900 or later
Old 03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call to them. Let them know you are here. If they are still gobbling, let them. If they stop, kinda give them a few short and quiet yelps to let them know you are still there. Be patient, good chance theyre coming to check you out.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen. you can usually hear if there are hens in the area. then i like to call the hens. a live decoy is the best. Pick out the noisiest one and imitate her every sound. she will come to check out the new girl in town and when she does guess who will be right behind her.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I can't get a turkey to come, I have someone go after it. Driving deer works great, and so does driving turkeys. Usually when being driven, they will go to an open field, or fly across a river or creek. This is be my own personal experience, sometimes the best things to do too a tom, is pressure him IMO.

Quick Reply: Gobbling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.