HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   WHAT TO DO? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/237314-what-do.html)

hycohounds 03-14-2008 06:55 AM

WHAT TO DO?

BEEN SPENDING MY MORNINGS IN A NEW AREA THAT I HAVE LIMITED KNOWLEGE OF. HEARD BIRDS EVERY MORNING THIS WEEK EXCEPT TODAY. SEEMS THEY GOT LOCK JAW. NOW ITS GOT ME NERVOUS. I HAVE A AREA THAT I HAVE HUNTED FOR OVER A DECADE. HAVEN'T REALING BEEN THERE LOOKING SENCE DEER SEASON OTHER THAN A COUPLE OF AFTERNOONS. I KNOW IT LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND. THERE ARE ALWAYS ALOT OF BIRDS THERE BUT THERES ALWAYS ALOT OF PEOPLE TOO. DO I GO TO WHERE I HAVE HEARD BIRDSOR DO I CHANCE IT AND GO TO WHERE I KNOW THE LAND BETTER AND HAVE TO POSSIBLY OUT RUN OTHER HUNTERS?..............TONY

RIStrutStopper 03-14-2008 07:01 AM

RE: WHAT TO DO?

I'd hit both places. First, I'd go where I heard the birds, unless you know there will be more hunters there than turkeys. Its not uncommon for them to have lock jaw now and again, it doesn't mean they aren't there. If you don't do well in one area, try the other. Sometimes I'll hit multiple spots on the same day. Just my opinion...

Hooker 03-14-2008 07:03 AM

I would go to the spot where you have been hearing the birds. Yes, that's what I would do. Most definietly.

superstrutter 03-14-2008 07:07 AM

They are still there. They may not gobble every morning for one reason or another, but they are in the area somewhere.Personally, If I have a place I know there are gobblers and no hunters, I'm definately going there, whether I'm familiar with the area or not.Try the familiar place during the week when there are fewer hunters hunting.

JW 03-14-2008 09:14 AM

You have been given a plan - Hunt where you have heard birds - if nothing then go to where yo hunted before. Your pre-scouting will not lie to you. Just a case of lock jaw that morning - keep scouting and your plan will come together.

nkyhunter 03-14-2008 10:21 AM

When does your season start?

Born 2 Bow Hunt 03-14-2008 11:45 AM

I wouldn't give up to quick. I would stay in any area with limited Tom's and limited hunters rather than to leave that area to go to an area with lots of Tom's and Lot's of hunters.

Turkey hunting requires patience......

SwampCollie 03-14-2008 02:58 PM

I'd let the weather dictate my moves. If the weather is going to be windy and cold, the birds probably aren't going to gobble... in that case, I'd go to the spot that you know the best. Wind and cold will keep a few hunters in anyway, and since you probably won't be able to hear a bird if he gobbles anyway, knowing the terrain and the birds will play to your advantage.

If its more likely that birds are going to be sounding off, then I want to be as far away from other hunters as I possibly can. Most public land neophyte turkey hunters go running to a gobbling turkey like a rich retard after the ice cream truck. Having one to yourself is kinda nice.

hycohounds 03-14-2008 07:30 PM

i'm going to the new area. not much people sign and i saw 3 gobblers wed afternoon in a food plot. both areas are public land. 1's in florida and 1's in alabama. only about 40 minutes between them. if it don't work out i'll head to florida.............tony