HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Scouting Questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/236811-scouting-questions.html)

DMills615 03-10-2008 05:52 PM

Scouting Questions

Whats up guys and gals? Got a question for everyone. I have always heard that at the bottom of a roost tree you will find feathers and the ground will be scrapped up around the base of the tree. Well I think I found that today but wasn't really sure. I found a lot of feathers around the bottom of the tree, but it wasnt like just one or two it was like 25 feathers. Almost like a bird had been shot haha. What do you guys think? Is it a roosting tree or just something else got some of the birds feathers? Thanks for the help! God bless

SwampCollie 03-10-2008 06:25 PM

RE: Scouting Questions

ORIGINAL: DMills615

Whats up guys and gals? Got a question for everyone. I have always heard that at the bottom of a roost tree you will find feathers and the ground will be scrapped up around the base of the tree. Well I think I found that today but wasn't really sure. I found a lot of feathers around the bottom of the tree, but it wasnt like just one or two it was like 25 feathers. Almost like a bird had been shot haha. What do you guys think? Is it a roosting tree or just something else got some of the birds feathers? Thanks for the help! God bless

One of the really big give aways is finding copious amounts of second hand turkey food in the immediate area... in laymens terms that means there will be turkey sh*t all over the place. You'll see it on low hanging branches and leaves... as it is falling from up high.

As to the feathers... if they are all in one tight area (like a 6' radius) and mostly short wide breast and back feathers.... then a bird probably did get shot there. If they are random feathers in random places.... then its just fairly normal. Tread lightly in there... roost areas are like butterfly wings.

Born 2 Bow Hunt 03-11-2008 07:45 AM

RE: Scouting Questions

I stop spending a lot of time in the woods looking for scratchings, droppings, feathers etc. I just go out a couple of weeks before the season and everyday thereafter I can and listen from high points. I prefer to listen from open fields, by doing so I can better determine exactly where a gobbler is calling from.

Gobbles in the early morning and just before dark can be heard a very long distance. I have about ten of these locations I have used for many years. By using this method I can locate many more birds than walking through the woods. Scouting by looking for "Sign" alerts the gobblers of ones presence and limits the area one can hear birds at prime time. The details aren't important hearing the bird on his roost is important to me and all I need to know for starters.

I am able to determine close to where the gobbler is roosting, get there before daylight to hear him sound off and give me his exact location, so I can move in close......