Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500? >

Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

I think the one I was looking at through cabela's was a .660 bore, but I will check again on the carlson webstie to see if a .640 is available for the Mossberg 500
Yeah it is.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

So it is! I hadn't scrolled down far enough!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ordered it and with shipping and tax it was only 31.45, quite a bargain compared to what I've seen some tubes going for. Now i just hope it gives acceptable results for this year with at least one ammo selection. And if I get the bug I'll probably be looking into a new shotgun anyway!
Just what I needed, one more reason to collect all the paraphernalia necessary to fill my truck!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

TRUGLOW GOBBLER STOPPER EXTREME
Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy from Carlson called me today to say that my internet order was going to take till May 1st ....b/c of an ordering problem the .640 choke was out of stock till then.
He explained that he thought that the .660 that they DID have in stock would probably be abetter set-up for me anyway ... he wont on to say the the .640 was really for card shooters (whatever that means) and the pattern was great for a certain range and then it opened up too much for turkey hunting ... at least that's what he told me.......
Anyway, after talking to a couple of my buddies that know way more than me about this turkey hunting stuff they told me he wasn't leading me wring....
I went ahead with the switch on the order, same cost but the .660 tube instead.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

The guy from Carlson called me today to say that my internet order was going to take till May 1st ....b/c of an ordering problem the .640 choke was out of stock till then.
He explained that he thought that the .660 that they DID have in stock would probably be abetter set-up for me anyway ... he wont on to say the the .640 was really for card shooters (whatever that means) and the pattern was great for a certain range and then it opened up too much for turkey hunting ... at least that's what he told me.......
Anyway, after talking to a couple of my buddies that know way more than me about this turkey hunting stuff they told me he wasn't leading me wring....
I went ahead with the switch on the order, same cost but the .660 tube instead.
I think you will be very pleased, keep us posted.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello again,
I appreciate all the input I've received so far, but just one more question (for now anyway!)
My Carlson .660 choke arrived and I'll be heading to the range this coming week to pattern. Since I'm new to this I'm hoping to avoid doing anything stupid to my Mossberg 500A, 3".
I will be trying about 5 different loads but I'm only aware of 2 of the 6 right now. My 2 buddies will be bringing 2 different loads each and we plan on trying all 6 types in each of our guns for comparison. The 2 loads I'll be bringing are Remington Premier High Velocity Magnum in 3" , 1300 fps, 1 3/4 oz shot in #4, and the same thing but with #5's. Will these be safe and ok in my Mossberg?

My question is this, ... as long as I'm shooting only 3" loads is there anythingI need to steer clear of?... in other words, are there any 3" loads I should stay away from for fear of damaging my Mossberg?

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice you veterans have. I only have this one shotgunfor turkey this year and I don't want to end my season early for some bone-headed move on my part.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Hello again,
I appreciate all the input I've received so far, but just one more question (for now anyway!)
My Carlson .660 choke arrived and I'll be heading to the range this coming week to pattern. Since I'm new to this I'm hoping to avoid doing anything stupid to my Mossberg 500A, 3".
I will be trying about 5 different loads but I'm only aware of 2 of the 6 right now. My 2 buddies will be bringing 2 different loads each and we plan on trying all 6 types in each of our guns for comparison. The 2 loads I'll be bringing are Remington Premier High Velocity Magnum in 3" , 1300 fps, 1 3/4 oz shot in #4, and the same thing but with #5's. Will these be safe and ok in my Mossberg?

My question is this, ... as long as I'm shooting only 3" loads is there anythingI need to steer clear of?... in other words, are there any 3" loads I should stay away from for fear of damaging my Mossberg?

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice you veterans have. I only have this one shotgunfor turkey this year and I don't want to end my season early for some bone-headed move on my part.
Any 12ga 3" Magnum FACTORY LOADED shell will beOK to shoot in your MossbergĀ® Mdl 500A.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:44 PM

IMO if you are shooting a .660 choke I think a Winchester Supreme 13/4 oz 3" #6 or #5 will shoot the best
I also have a MB 500 with a .665 choke and the Whinchester 3" super X #6 will put 39 pellets in the head & neck @ 40yds .

One thing you have to watch is if you get a choke that is to tight alot of times your pattern will self distruct after 15 or 20 yds spredding out way to fast or it will hold so tight of a pattern that it will act more like a slug at closer ranges and it will be very easy to miss at 25yds or closer.

Ron
Old 03-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again to all.
I'm relieved to know I won't hurt anything. Since I'm knew to this I didn't know if any of the harder plated loads (heavy-shot types) would beat up my barrel or choke.

I'll give the Winchesters a try as well.

Quick Reply: Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.