Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bearded hen

Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bearded hen

Yes, I know...I would never shoot a "regular" hen. We have plenty of birds here. I just want to make an old time wingbone call. This would "kill one bird" and give two stones or so to speak...a neat and legal bird and a call.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM

got one here on camera last week looked as if her beard was 7 or 8 inches but thin. Had a buddy thats wife had a beard but then i thought only in alabama
Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Born 2 Bow Hunt

From what I understand they are still hens, lay eggs and raise poults.
and from what i understand, franklin and montgomery counties missouri are two of the top kill counties in the top kill state in the nation, id say we have enough birds here. and its also not your right to question a 100% legal kill
Old 03-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

ORIGINAL: Born 2 Bow Hunt

From what I understand they are still hens, lay eggs and raise poults.
and from what i understand, franklin and montgomery counties missouri are two of the top kill counties in the top kill state in the nation, id say we have enough birds here. and its also not your right to question a 100% legal kill
He has the right to hisopinion, You just dont have to agree with him.

But I do. Ive had the opportunity to shoot a couple bearded hens, but as Born to Hunt said, they are egg layers, and the get a pass.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys, I appreciate you looking at the pic. I sure didn't mean to get the ethics argument going. We all have to choose each shot at each animal as we pull the trigger. Most of us here are all members of a noble fraternity of hunters who believe in making ethical choices. We all know that legal and ethical aren't always on the same moral plane. However, if we want to get that thread started, I would rather someonelse start it. I just wanted to share a cool picture. I've probably gotten 20 or so of her over the last two months.

Happy hunting and God bless.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three springs ago, I was dead 100% positive I was looking at a bearded hen. I watched that bird yelp, scratch, cluck, feed and carry on just like one of the girls. I shot it at 25 steps and damn it all if it wasn't the only jake I've ever killed in my life. Had a fan like a regular turkey, about three inches of beard... grey head.... and spurs about like a cock pheasant. Strangest thing I've ever seen. No more bearded hens for me.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Swamp, there is no doubt about this one...I mean I haven't gotten to examine certain organs, if you know what I mean, but there are no spurs, pale head, feathers up to the jaw. I must have 20 pics of this bird. Anyway, sorry about your story, but hey, that's hunting right?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Swamp, there is no doubt about this one...I mean I haven't gotten to examine certain organs, if you know what I mean, but there are no spurs, pale head, feathers up to the jaw. I must have 20 pics of this bird. Anyway, sorry about your story, but hey, that's hunting right?

I agree with you about the bird in your pics... but then again... I had myself convinced and I watched that bird at 80 yards with 10x binoculars. Burned me up because as a duck hunter, the line between a legal limit and being over on species (espeically in my black duck and mallard infested blinds) is a very very fine one. I rather pride myself on my bird/game ID.... and this was one time where I would have bet the farm and lost. Makes me a little gun shy I guess. Never hurts to be careful. That is definately hunting I suppose. I suspect the bird tasted better than a nasty ol' bearded hen anyway....
Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any hen, bearded or not, is illegal to shoot in Louisiana.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Well, thanks to a friend of mine on this site, I have re-read the rules on turkeys and have found out that any hen is illegal in Alabama as well.(Idon't know what I was thinking)I sure am glad I found out now. Thanks guys for a great discussion and comments. I now will have to shoot this bird with a camera instead of the gun. Thanks again for the comments guys. Happy Hunting and God bless.

Quick Reply: Bearded hen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.