HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What 3 inch 6 shot shell? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/234997-what-3-inch-6-shot-shell.html)

Strutter20 02-28-2008 03:41 PM

What 3 inch 6 shot shell?

I haven't had the money to invest in a good turkey gun so i use my paps old single shot that takes three inch shells. I bought remington nitro turkeys last year and they were terrible so i used the ones he gave me with the gun. I am thinking either Remington Wingmaster HD turkey or the xtended range winchesters. The Remingtons have the same ounce shot and stuff as the old shells so i am thinking those ones. Which would you shoot and try out. Give as much info as possible please. Thanks.

SwampCollie 02-28-2008 03:47 PM

RE: What 3 inch 6 shot shell?

What choke/constriction is that old single?

If it has a fixed constriction, you can put your wallet down because you don't want to shoot any of the high density stuff down it.

My two favorite lead/copper plated #6 shells were always Win Supreme (black box) 2oz 3" #6 and Rem Premier HV 3" 1 3/4oz #6. Killed quite a few with both of them.

Blueditch42 02-28-2008 03:50 PM

Winchester Extended Range PERIOD

rochelle 02-28-2008 04:14 PM

Try lead loads of #5 or #6 in winchester and federal. These loads pattern well in alot of guns.

Strutter20 02-28-2008 04:58 PM

I believe it is a full constriction barrel.I guess i should add that i would like to shoot out to 30 yards max.

nchawkeye 02-28-2008 05:08 PM

You're going to have to shoot it bud, no way to tell...

Not only do you have to look at pellet delivery, some shells don't center the pattern like others do...

I'd start with Winchester Supremes and Federal Premiums, in a standard full choke I'd stick with #6s for more pellet count and inside of 40 yards #6s will kill them dead...

You might be suprised how well that gun groups, I've got a double barrel 12gauge that I used 30 years ago, with Remington high brass 6s, I killed several out to 35 yards...

It doesn't take 15 pellets in the neck/head area to kill a turkey...4-5 will do just nicely...

Strut&Rut 02-28-2008 08:11 PM

I second the Winchester Supremes. I would try 5 or 6 shot, because even with errant flyers, you have more chances (i.e. more pellets!) to hit the mark.

Save the money you were going to put in the X-tended Range, and put that money into an optics system. Either a cheap red-dot scope, or fiber optic sights. I used a c-lect choke Mossberg for years, and used #6 Winchester supremes with great results. Those results increased drastically when I added a fiber optic bead and painted the rear site with optic paint ;)

kingvjack 02-28-2008 08:27 PM

I shoot remington loads.... I do not believe they are HD... They are commonly found at Dincks though

alinla 02-28-2008 08:40 PM

winchester extended range

SwampCollie 02-28-2008 09:35 PM

Thanks for the follow up strutter.

I would seriously NOT shoot Win Extended range in that gun. I shoot it myself, and its a wonderful product, but with your fixed constriction, the hardness of a high density tungsten based shot could damage your firearm.

Any of the lead/copper plated loads recommended in this thread will work great for you out to 30 yards, and most likely even a bit farther. Good luck.