Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbler tube

Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Gobbler tube

How many of yas carry a gobble tube with ya? I carry one but dont use it much unless Im not having any activity. I dont want to call any other hunters in with it so Im very careful when I use it... Whats everyones take? Any luck or not with the gobble tube?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gobbler tube

I take one with me but haven't used it much. It was very slow one day on some property I'm allowed to hunt and I tried to light one up using the gobble call. All I did was get some guy on the road start cutting away. He wasn't supposed to be there, but I just shut up and he finally went away. Be careful if you use one.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my box call to gobble by turning it upside down and shaking it with a rubber band on it. I've onlyused it in situations where the bird hangs up. A bad jake gobblelets him think he's got competition. It's worked on more than one occasion.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gobble with a diaphram call. It has and does attract turkeys, espeically in areas where competition for hens is very fierce. In areas where competition for gobblers is very fierce it is a deadly effective call to attract lots of other hunters.

I've found that I can sound very very convincing with the diaphram call... yet, not all mouth calls will produce a good gobble. Sometimes sounding a little high pitched and creaky like a jake or very young bird can be a dynamite way of bringing a bird that may have hung up just out of sight in to gun range. When they hang up... I'm not opposed to thowing everything but a rifle bullet at them.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those that gobble with mouth calls, do you do the head shake thing? If not, how do you do it?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Those that gobble with mouth calls, do you do the head shake thing? If not, how do you do it?

Just think...... thuck-ah, thuck-ah, thuck-ah, thuck-ah, thuck-ah, thuck-ah.

Might help to lay your index finger across your upper lip while you're learning. I have heard folks use the head shake, but it doesn't sound near as realistic.

Some find it easier to have the call slid forward, some farther back. I can make a gobble with it in either spot, but of course the pitch is much deeper the farther back you have the call in your mouth.

I start with my lips pulled back like an overexaggerated toothy smile and then make the call going forward. I have big ol' catfish lips, and I let 'em flutter a bit right at the end. It makes the call go from higher and sharper to kind of peter out and die... just like a real gobble does.

It will teach you how to use a mouth call better, but overall I doubt that its any better than a shaker. One of my room mates back in college could make the call really well and it bothered me so bad that I couldn't get it that I sat down one weekend and messed with it until I sort of figured it out. Took me a good three months to get it good, and probably a solid year to get real good. I certainly wouldn't say I've perfected it, not even close, but its certainly something unique among hunters (being able to make the gobble with a mouth call).

Personally I still think a really good purr (hen) is the most difficult call to make, followed by a whistle/kee kee and a respectable cluck. Lots of people can make them good enough for them, but to listen to a real turkey, or a really really good contest caller... it'll make you feel like a baby with a rattle.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 PM

I can gobble pretty good on a tube call but the only time I would actually use it is when a tom is henned up or hung up. A gobble is sometimes the one thing that will tick him off and come looking. I can gobble some on a mouth call but it has to be somewhat worn out latex.