Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Federal Premium Shells-good or bad? >

Federal Premium Shells-good or bad?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Federal Premium Shells-good or bad?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Federal Premium Shells-good or bad?

Hey guys, i have another question for y'all. I'm going to be shooting 3"#5 copperplatedFederal Premium Flight Control shells this year. This is the first timeI have tried these.How do these shells perform? Range, pattern, knockdown power? By the way, I'm shooting them out of a benelli supernova with a primos jellyhead choke.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Federal Premium Shells-good or bad?

I've killed several with them out of my B-80 and my hunting bud took a guy last year that killed one at 56 yards out of his 835 with the Federal 2 oz 5s...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a decent patten with a jellyhead choke and the Federal with flight control wads...I was shooting the 3.5" w/ #5 shot at the time out of a Rem 870. Definitely go out and try the combination for yourself and see how the shell performs out of your gun.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot some flight controls through both ported and non ported guns. Here is my take for what its worth:

Typically, non ported tubes benefit from flight control wads more than ported ones. I found that with my Pure Gold or my Jellyhead that the patterns were very very even but were only good out to about 35 yards... 40 at the max. When I shot some of them out of my non-ported guns, and inparticular my Dads older 1100 witha fixed mod choke, I found that I had much tighter patterns than when I used a ported choke. Generally, it didn't really seem to matter what constriction I used at all, the patterns seemed to be about the same. It got my Dad about 5-10 more yards of effective pattern, and he is now carrying them for field hunts. Can't get him to come off his old standby copper plated winchesters.. why mess with success.

To sum up, I think that if you have an older, fixed constriction gun, or if you don't want to spend extra money on an aftermarket tube (which is only about as much as two boxes of lead turkey loads anymore), then Flight Control wads are a great way to go.

As r33h said though, you have to take it to the paper no matter what. For a $10-15 investment I'd say its definately worth a try.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

I used them last season 3.5 #5 with my Nova and a Hasting Choke, very nice pattern. I tried the #6 and didn't like them as well. I took a jake last season at 38 steps and his head was whacked. I'll be using them again this year.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I used the #4 shot and killed a nice Tom last spring . The 5 and 6 shot pattern very well with either the rem choke or a carlson ported choke.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Spike

I like them they work for me and my setup. I use 2 3/4 and 3 in. #4
Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 PM

i switched to the carlson's dead coyote choke and was amazed at what it does out to 50 yards with winchester extended range with 3 inch 6 shot over 30 in the head and 40 round the neck area in a 3 1/2 over 50 in head the choke is made for hevi-shot they shot coyotes with this choke out to 70 yards it shot much better than my jellyhead and gobble stopers