Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Full Choke Potent enough for Turkeys??? >

Full Choke Potent enough for Turkeys???

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Full Choke Potent enough for Turkeys???

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Full Choke Potent enough for Turkeys???

Listen fellas I've shot a stockfull choke for almost 30 years huntin turks and wont even bother tellin ya how many birds have breathed there last as result of it.Heck yes a full choked gun will kill turks.I dont care what choke you shoot or how much money you spend its all about knowin your gun(pattern)and hunters capabilties in the field.Bottomline is even the "best"of turkey guns have there limits its up to the hunter/shooter to know and make those decisions correctly and ethically afield...Bob..
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that the chokes that come with your gun from the factory usually take a back seat to the custom made chokes out on the market.
That being said, every choke and gun will shoot and pattern differently than your buddies gun. Like Bob mentioned above, I've tried a bunch of chokes and loads myself over the years, and have found that every choke other than the factory chokes, did better on paper at the patterning board. Your talking 40-50 yards??? That narrows it down to some sort of heavy shot out of a Rhino or jellyhead choke. Myself, I use the 40 yard marker as my judging distance. Nitro 3" H378 loads out of the Rhino .660 choke will allow me to take birds cleanly at that distance. But that comes after many pattern tests at the range to just verify that out of my gun.

My own opinion, while just using a full choke, it won't get the job done at 40-50 yards "consistantly". Sure, you might get lucky and nail the bird with one errant pellet to the head, but your pattern won't be very dense and will have many holes inside it to allow the bird to get away or worse, get crippled!!! There's no easy way around it. Your going to have to do your homework at the pattern range to find what shoots best out of your gun, choke and load wise. Tomake a blank statement, "will a full choke work at 40-50 yards", just doesn't cut it, there are just too many variables that come into play here.
[:-]
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

well obviously a full choke will take a turkey, like i said, my modified choke took several birds. His question is will a full choke do it at 40-50 yards. Again, ill say it "can", but definetly isnt worth the try at that range.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

IMO yes it will. Get the right loads and learn how to shoot them. People often don't give the scattergun enough credit.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have a full choke that will outperform many x-tra full chokes. It all depends on the gun-choke combination. I have a 1100 Remington with full choke that would out pattern my 835 x-tra full everytime---with almost any size shot in any brand.

It all depends on your specific gun.

Having said that, odds are, x-tra full chokes will give you better results down-range. But you can't make blanket statements about guns---they are all a little different.

Shoot your gun with different chokes and find out. That's the only way to know for sure.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am glad most people agree with me, that A full-choke is not the best choice, past 30 yards.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM

A standard full choke will kill a turkey at 40 yards (plenty of people have done it)but you are not going to get enough pellets in the kill zone to ASSURE a kill. I judge what is in range by the distance I can assure a kill, there for I would say 40yds is out of range with a standard full choke.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Pattern it out to different distances. See what you are comfortable with. It will be better than my Jellyhead inside 20 yards, that's for sure!

A 12 GA. with a full choke would work out to 35 most likey. I was messing around last week with my 20GA with a mod. choke a It hit 10 no. 4's at thirty yards in a 4 in. circle so im sure a full choke would go out to at least 35. Just find that right load and shoot to see waht works the best and you will be fine.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

It will kill at 20 yards maybe. No way out to 35 yards. You'd have to get that 1 lucky BB to hit the right spot. To risky in my opinion...
What? I've killed no less than 15 birds with a full choke (all I had growing up) at 35+yards. That's w/#6 90% of the time. I'd feel even more confortable w/#4s.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

It will kill at 20 yards maybe. No way out to 35 yards. You'd have to get that 1 lucky BB to hit the right spot. To risky in my opinion...
What? I've killed no less than 15 birds with a full choke (all I had growing up) at 35+yards. That's w/#6 90% of the time. I'd feel even more confortable w/#4s.

Just my opinion. I dont want to see birds wounded and lost because someone took to long of a shot...

Quick Reply: Full Choke Potent enough for Turkeys???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.