Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Does anyone here Not use decoys?? >

Does anyone here Not use decoys??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does anyone here Not use decoys??

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does anyone here Not use decoys??

Years ago we use to take "styrafoam"and cape out birds to use as dekes,than i remember haulin around those solid plastic dekes.Now I dont even mess with em much,know dont go bashin me cause I dont use one or two or 3 or whatever you all use,cause this isn't a pro/con decoy post..Just was wonderin how many folks take to the woods decoyless nowadays...?...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Default RE: Does anyone here Not use decoys??

Hunted turkeys long before decoys were on the market with sucess, but I do currently use decoy unless there is just not time, terrain and distance to get set up. If I had to chose between a call or a decoy I would take a call and hunt without decoys. I would change tactics without a decoy...
Old 02-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I seem to use dekes more on the roost set up in the morn.After that if I am moving around looking for birds I may carry one hen and may or may not use it.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

I alweays have one in my vest but I don't always use it. When folded up and covered with a shirt, it's make a great pillow fora mid-morning nap during those turkey activity low points
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I, like alot of other turkey hunters, use decoys at times and at other times dont. I think it is important to have them and use them sometimes and there are times when they dont work.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a pair - a hen and jake (Gertrude and Heathcliff), but haven't used either one of then in several years. I carried Gertrude, off and on, for years and only killed ONE bird over her, and I think I would've gotten him anyway. So, no, I don't waste the time, weight, and space anymore. I do miss the pillow, though.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:42 PM

Ive been turkey hunting for quite a few years and never used one.....but I bought a hen and jake pair yesterdayand I will be usingthemcome spring
Old 02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have them with me, but don't always use them. I let the situation dictate. Later on in the season, when hunting the fields of the eastern US I think decoys tend to hang birds up more often than not. But in some hunting situations I think they help a lot too. All depends on where and how you hunt, and how pressured your birds are.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jepcho

I, like alot of other turkey hunters, use decoys at times and at other times dont. I think it is important to have them and use them sometimes and there are times when they dont work.
Ditto!!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:10 PM

Never use them.Always do good without them.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here Not use decoys??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.