Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stubborn Gobbler?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Stubborn Gobbler?

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Something that has worked for me in the past is to take out a gobble shaker and pump it a few times. It's not going to work every time, but I've called a few stubborn gobblers in with it, along with a few yelps. I also like to scratch the leaves. Seems like scratching leaves always gets their attention. Of course, there is always that gobbler who won't commit regardless of what you do, but it's sure fun trying to get him committed.
Ive used a Gobble shaker several times for hung up toms.I will cut hard with my mouth call and gobble at the end.Worked for me.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would of prob left that bird and maybe came back later if I could find another gobbler... I guees it depends on what time of the year it was
Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

H88,

I would bet anybody that has ever chased a Tom has had the same thing happen to them. I agree with every post to your comments.

Don't know if you was on this forum a couple years past, but I had one that JW! named whoopbutt, because that bird whipped me on every turn for days. I posted what took place every day that season and took a couple more birds before I got Whoopbutt. Can't tell you why, for sure,he came in on the day I got him. The only thing I did different was take the first scratch box call I ever made with me, I had tried several different calls prior. On that day, I got that ole home made call out, after he hung up, and called maybe 2 or 3 times and he came straight to me, almost on a run.

To me, that was one of the best years I ever had chasing gobblers, I think simply because he was whipping me. It was almost depressing after I got him. He would hang up in front of me, in sight, but out of range for a shot. I even had hens walk within feet of me to go to him. I hunted that bird all hours of the day.

Best advice I can give, is don't give up!

dog1
Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to get one in the year before last.
It was worth it he was my biggest tom so far 11 1/2 inch beard.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stop calling. Get him curious. Make him come looking for the hen (which is you). If he starts heading another direction, give a real quiet yelp to get him interested again.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FlywayControl

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Something that has worked for me in the past is to take out a gobble shaker and pump it a few times. It's not going to work every time, but I've called a few stubborn gobblers in with it, along with a few yelps. I also like to scratch the leaves. Seems like scratching leaves always gets their attention. Of course, there is always that gobbler who won't commit regardless of what you do, but it's sure fun trying to get him committed.
Ive used a Gobble shaker several times for hung up toms.I will cut hard with my mouth call and gobble at the end.Worked for me.

thats what i do, it pisses off the gobbler aboyt 50% of the time, and if you have a jake decoy he'll come in with eyes only for that deac
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Each individual on here will give you a diff. opinion....

here's mine, you could have slowly and quietly backed up off him and sat back down and called a little softer...as in saying "see you buddy I got a new man" if that does not work i would try to flank him....make a huge semi circle to his left or right and call from another direction.

it was possible he was with hens and they moved off so he followed. they will near'bout always go with the hens they see! it has happened to me many times i nthe mountains...they will get close...but not too far from the girls he's with.