Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 when to use puts? clucks? ect >

when to use puts? clucks? ect

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

when to use puts? clucks? ect

Old 02-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: when to use puts? clucks? ect

Any time I ever hear a putt its bad news and my hunt is usually over. I don't want to alarm that gobbler in any way so I avoid putting. A soft cluck is fine just about any time, as are purrs. I find soft clucks and purrs to work best for me to bring him in to close the deal.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Spike

I listened to the clucks and putts from the NWTF site, but they sound pretty much the same to me. Is the difference that the cluck is more like a "whit" while the putt is much sharper? I'm trying to practice on my slate, but don't want to make the wrong sound.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The cluck and the putt do sound similar, I think its more of the cadence than differences in the sound of a single note that gets them on alert.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yep ya dont wanna putt. I never putt at all. I hate hearing putts. Its a bad sound
Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 AM

Ill only use a putt that final moment to raise that birds head or sometimes i'll add a putt or 2 inwhile i am yelping when that gobblers making his approach i'll slide to a soft purr just to calm him down a little the cluck i use often in my routine calling just remember 1 rule of thumb DONT OVER CALL that bird gobbles back to you he already knows where your at you have to intise him in tease him a little give a few short calls an sit back an wait

MrGobbler
Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Neurosis

I listened to the clucks and putts from the NWTF site, but they sound pretty much the same to me. Is the difference that the cluck is more like a "whit" while the putt is much sharper? I'm trying to practice on my slate, but don't want to make the wrong sound.
IMHO all,theres alot of confusion to these two very different calls.Some great incitehere from many of you from your own personal field experiences.Now let me give you my take and hopefully this wont confuse....
I'm a firm believer the main difference between these two calls yes is intensity and volume but also and mainly is "situation"....Most say its the single note of an alarm putt that defines the call but I've heard many a gobbler react positivley to a hen that was alarm putting by gobbling to her as wellas keep oncoming in.No I'm not confused at what I'm hearing because I've had many hens get to me before the gobbler and make me out,to have herstart alarm putting,with the gobbler gobbling at her from a distance to keep coming even after she alarm putted.Am I saying we should include this particular call to our repitioure.?Well lets just say I think we could if done in a positive fashion with some understanding. I've heard many turkeys on the hen side cutt,cackle,and even fight with the same intensity level and volume "putting"wildly just in a different"positive situation" running putts together...On the gobbler side have any of you heard a real gobbler fight?The "putting"is with the same intensity and agressiveness as if they had seen something out of the ordinary in a possible danger "situation" and yes with many single notes.Absolutely wild turkeys will alarm putt when spooked,but I believe its the reaction after the call that defines it in that particuar "situation"...I'm not afraid to putt andwill use these two calls putt/cluck both in a positive manner afield dependant upon situation,terrain,and response from the birdsthemselves.The sound of a good gobbler fight or two hens goin at it can completely turn a non responsive bird on.........whew enough of my ramblin,good luck all...