Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Bama turkey hunt

Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default First Bama turkey hunt

I hunt in Florida when turkey hunting and have never been out of state to bird hunt. This year myself and some friends are going to be hunting in the Eufala area and I was wandering if it is better to hunt in the bottoms or try and stay on top of the ridges and call the birds up the hills? This may sound like a silly question but I like any edge I can get especially being this is my first time hunting here! Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Bama turkey hunt

Good luck. I've yet to score on a Bama bird, after 3X. Generally you'll have better luck calling a bird uphill, or when you're at the same level as him. If you hear one or strike him with a locator, go around and get higher than where you thought you heard him, or at the same level..of course you're doing this as quietly as possible...then call again, but not as loud as before.

If he answers, but heads downhill, don't follow. (Maybe it's here, maybe it's 'cause we got Rios) If you do, you'll have a hard time getting him to commit and come up to you.

Have fun.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

It just depends on the situation. It seems to me you can find birds in both places. Knowing the area you hunt can help tremendously. I think they like to move to ridges, but they can't stay there all day long. I have had more luck on the high ground than the low ground, but I sure have had a lot of close encounters in the bottoms.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Where will you be hunting in Eufaula? Is it private or public land? That will be a huge factor in your sucess or failure.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I will be hunting on public land. If it is anything like it is here in Perry I will have to draw straws with everyone else in the woods. But that means that more people are joining the hunting family and that adds more money to the system.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 AM

i hunt near eufuala, alot of turkeys in the area.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely ridges. My land has the perfect combination of piney ridges, oak hollows, creeks and about 60 acres of flat fields along the river. 90% of the time I never go down to the fields. Here's a few tips that have scored many birds for me. If you're planning to hunt on a cold, windy, or rainy morning, look for the birds to be bunched up in the pines. I spooked about 30 birds off the roost in some pines one day last season when it was colder than normal. After they flew, they ran around calling like crazy trying to find each other. I did some kee kees and assembly yelps and had em running over me. Also when it rains, look for the birds to hit the fields and open areas. They certainly dont hear very well in the woods while its raining. Same for wind. Lastly, don't give up on a bird after he stops gobbling and doesnt come to you. Wait him out, because usually after hes done flirting he'll go lookin for more, and many times he'll start gobbling his head off again if you call to him right. I've killed many birds from about 10:30 to 12:30 by just clucking and purring on a ridgetop. Good luck, let us all know how big he is when you knock his head off. HEY ARJUNA, that pic of the strutter has me chompin at the bit!!!! You better put him to sleep opening day! Good luck!