Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 supernova chokes and loads help!! >

supernova chokes and loads help!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

supernova chokes and loads help!!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Default supernova chokes and loads help!!

Hi there. this will be my first post here, so nice to meet all yous. i would like to have some advice and chokes and shell advice for my supernova so when i go to the range to pattern my gun it may save me some money, from getting ideas from you guys here. thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 02:27 PM

Default RE: supernova chokes and loads help!!

Traditioally most like the tightest pattern they can get, so full or extra full would be the way to go. You have to remember that pound for pound, the turkey is one of the toughest birds/animals on the planet. With that you want as many pellets in the kill zone (head and neck) as you can get.

As for ammo, you supernova should shoot 3 1/2 shells. That is what I would use. The pay load will be much greater when it hits the bird. For shot size, either 2's or 4's. Again, if it were me, I would lean toward the 2's because they will give you a little more at longer distances. What ever you buy, you should pattern your gun at different distances to see what will give the best pattern.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

#2's[:'(]Not legal in most states... And there is no turkey loads made with #2's...

I think anybody that would recomend #2's is not much of a ethical turkey hunter

Maybe someone else with your gun can give better advise!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Wow!!!

Don't you think unethical is a little harsh?

Here in Colorado, the Division of Wildlife says it is not only ethical but also legal to shoot #2's for turkey.

I will admit that I am not well versed in every states wildlife laws and if I gave information that is not allowed in certain states I am very sorry.

Back to the ethical thing for a minute... For what it is worth I prefer to hunt my birds with a bow.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:36 PM

This may be of some help....http://huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2640241
Old 02-19-2008, 06:59 AM

thanks for all your help. i think i will focus on what i have always used before. kicks gobblin thunder and winchester supremes!!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: spit_drum

thanks for all your help. i think i will focus on what i have always used before. kicks gobblin thunder and winchester supremes!!
Which winchesters are you looking at shooting?
I havealmost every Winchester turkey load made
3" XX 5 shot and 6 shot
3.5" XX 5 shot and 6 shot
3.5" High velocity 5 shot
3" Xtended range supreme elite 6 shot
3.5" Xtended range supereme elite 6shot

Other then the 3.5" Xtended range shells I wouldnt past 40 yards with any of the others out of both of my Supernovas.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

i use a truegold .670 choke and 3 1/2 rem hevi #5 or nitro mix. i get outstanding patterns with both shot. i use the rems in open country and the nitros in wooded country..............tony
Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 AM

barry1me, i know that you are probably going to find this hard to believe. but last year i shot a bird in kansasat 62 yards with my benelli sbe with a kicks .655 choke and winchester supremes 3 1/2 hv #5 shot
Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: spit_drum

barry1me, i know that you are probably going to find this hard to believe. but last year i shot a bird in kansasat 62 yards with my benelli sbe with a kicks .655 choke and winchester supremes 3 1/2 hv #5 shot
lol your right I dont believe it...but since I havent tried this choke tube with that shell combination I can not say if it will work. I will be buying a box and another choke around turkey season to try it out.

Here is my best pattern with Win. Xtended range 3.5" 6 shot this is at 45 yards!

Quick Reply: supernova chokes and loads help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.