HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Input on my patterning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/233052-input-my-patterning.html)

gmil6184 02-18-2008 09:17 AM

RE: Input on my patterning

It might just be the recoil from the heavy turkey loads that are causing you to hit a little high...just a thought. Since you are hitting consistently just a little high, the easy cheap fix is just to aim lower. If you keep practicing at aiming lower then i don't think you will have a problem when that big old tom is in front of you cause you will naturally aim where you have been practicing. You might also want to think about maybe getting a turkey scope or a red dot sight. They are usually a little more precise and you can really zero in where your pattern will hit. That is a pretty expensive answer though, just aim lower ;)

HoytUltraTecDrew 02-18-2008 09:21 AM

Dont hold for that dot on the target, like some others have said, put it at the base of the neck that should bring you down some, if thats not the problem i would consider going to a red dot.

kmartz 02-18-2008 12:06 PM

I copied this from Wikipedia after searching "iron sights".

Detailed instructions for adjusting the sights:
[ul][*]To move the line of sight DOWN (the shot hit BELOW the point of aim) the REAR sight is RAISED or the FRONT sight is LOWERED.[*]To move the line of sight UP (the shot hit ABOVE the point of aim) the REAR sight is LOWERED or the FRONT sight is RAISED. (Example below)[*]To move the line of sight LEFT (the shot hit LEFT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved RIGHT, or the FRONT sight is moved LEFT.[*]To move the line of sight RIGHT (the shot hit RIGHT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved LEFT, or the FRONT sight is moved RIGHT.[/ul]
I have a high left issue, so I feel your pain. My back sight is bottomed out too so I am going to shim my front sight. Don't know if that is an option for you or not. I want to hit where I aim. I don't want to have to worry about holding high, low, left, or right becuse my gun is not hitting where I want it to. Nice thing is you have options. Adjust sites as much as possible,buy sites with more adjustment than you have now,or buy a scope. Obvioulsy these are listed form cheapest to most expensive.If you have questions about patterning search that here. There is a thorough post on this. Alot depends on howparticular you want to be.I hope things work out the way you want them to.

Simp 02-18-2008 06:10 PM

I'll throw my two cents in as well. I would definitely get a set of adjustable rifle-type sights for your gun. No guessing after you install those.I've also found that you get what you pay for when it comes to shells. I'm sure some people herehave excellent success with the cheapest shells made, but I wouldn't count on it.

You may want to try some type of Hevishotbased shell. Typically, these shells will pattern better than a lead based shell. Don't ask me why because on paper they shouldn't. Hevishot is harder than lead and you'd assume that it would pattern worse than lead coming through a choke of any significant constriction. But for some reason they simply out perform lead.

So, in summary, get some rifle-type sights and if you're not happy with the results of your lead based shells, try some Hevishot. They're not cheap, but as the writing on the box says, "I didn't come this far to miss". Good luck! Simp

Gamblinman 02-18-2008 07:04 PM

Based on the target posted, if you hold on the wattles, where you should be, you'll be very close to dead on. That aimpoint on the target is way too high. 1/2 or more of your pattern is going over the turkey head. If you adjust the rear sight, adjust it in the direction you need the shot to go.

bowhntr1980 02-18-2008 08:28 PM

I'm not sure how far back you can search but SwampCollie had a thread "how to pattern a turkey gun" and it was excellent. I was able to relocate it by googleing "how to pattern a turkey gun". It also had pictures attached to help explain what he was doing. Makes alot of sense instead of using the reg. turkey targets. Good luck

Buck N Tom 02-18-2008 08:58 PM

I had the same problem with my Mossberg 835, only mine was shooting even higher.I bought some TruGlo Magnum Gobble Dot Pro-Series sights and fixed the problem. They cost around $40-$45. Lucky for me a local sporting goods store had them 1/2 off when I went to buy them.

As others have said, don`t aim for the head, aim at the middle of the neck. Now, having said that, you still want the best part ofyour guns pattern to be centered where you aim. I would try the TruGlos or put a low power scope or a Red Dotscope on it.

r33h 02-19-2008 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: bowhntr1980

I'm not sure how far back you can search but SwampCollie had a thread "how to pattern a turkey gun" and it was excellent. I was able to relocate it by googleing "how to pattern a turkey gun". It also had pictures attached to help explain what he was doing. Makes alot of sense instead of using the reg. turkey targets. Good luck
Here's the link to what bowhntr1980 was talking about. Very good and informative thread!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2074825