Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Painting a turkey gun??

Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Painting a turkey gun??

That be a dip job.

And dig camo is where its at. I remember when the Marines first switched over and I took a buddy of mine turkey hunting who was just back from OCS before our senior year at The Citadel. He was sitting not 25 feet from me under a palmetto bush at the base of a pine, and I litterally couldn't see him. If I had not known he was there, I'd have stepped on him. I was sold then.

I wish that the camo companies that make really quality clothing would start using this stuff. Its flat out amazing.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice indeed!!!I have a friend of mine that about every two years blowbrushes my turkey gun...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Outstanding!! What a GREAT job. OK...now how did you do it?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

As I told ya bud the first time you shared that picture with me - be very carefull about laying that gun down - Ya may just not find it!

think I would paint the butt plate Blaze orange! - Just to be safe!

Excellent AA
Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone, I think it turned out nice myself, this is a guinea pig for stock work I am planning.

The process isnt that hard but is time consuming and somewhat painstaking. I started out by totally de-greasing to gun, using latex gloves when doing so. This not only saves your hands by touching the solvents but helps with leaving the surfaces free of finger oils. Next I painted the entire gun with a base coatatan color. The next step was applying male digital type stencils to where I wanted the lighter color of tan to appear. The next step was to paint the entire gun an olive drab green, this is what gives contrast.The next thing was to apply female stencils and using black paint to add deeper contrast. The last step was to use a matte clear coat . The paints and other information can be found here.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Old 02-21-2008, 12:24 PM

That's not a dip job!?

Dude, that is outstanding work. Looks like pro quality work. After I saw the picture last week I started looking for somewhere to send my 870 to be dipped. I think that I will still go that route, I doubt that I could produce something that looked half that good.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Don't lay it down while you are hunting you won't be able to find it.....
Old 02-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

doubleA...wow...I thought that was a dip job. You did an excellent job!!

Reefdonkey...if you are still looking for a place to send your gun to be dipped...here is a site that will do that. I have personally never used them or had anything of mine dipped before, but I have heard several good things about this place. http://www.camo-solutions.com/index.html
Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Nice! I have a .308 Savage Tacticalim wanting to do something with.. How did you digitize it like that...looks good.

Quick Reply: Painting a turkey gun??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.