HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Alabama hunters? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/232816-alabama-hunters.html)

SouthernStrut56 02-16-2008 03:40 PM

Alabama hunters?

It seems like there would be more turkey hunters from Alabama on here, maybe there are I just dont see them. Just wondering who all is planning to chase gobblers in Alabama this year. We got less than a month to wait, I'm counting down the days.I would guarantee another win for "The Tominators" this year, but I don't wanna jinx myself ;).

superstrutter 02-16-2008 04:09 PM

RE: Alabama hunters?

I don't hunt in Alabama, but I was a Tominator last year. We pretty much dominated last year:). I doubt we will have the same teams we had last year. They change them up each year, at least they did the last two years. I dare them to put the Tominators back together again;).

D Mills 02-16-2008 07:12 PM

I live in Ga but was born and raised in Alabama, I'll be in Bama for the state's opening weekend and maybe another time as well

Arjuna 02-16-2008 08:55 PM

I live in Hartford, AL and was raised in Dothan. As a Methodist preacher, I've gotten to chase birds all over the southern half of the state. I'll be at Rucker on the youth hunt come March 8th. Oh yea, I'm ready. You're not alone, I promise. Then I'll be in the Covington County Management area on opening day. Then move to private land for a few days in Geneva County. Then I hope to hunt in Headland, Fort Deposit, Chambers County, and Shorter by the end of the season.

SouthernStrut56 02-16-2008 10:16 PM

Yeah If they put the Tominators together again it's over before it starts brother :D.They pick em randomly so some people may end up together again. Anyways I grew up in Oxford but now live in Auburn goin to school down here. I've hunted my family's private land in Randolph County since I was a kid and my one single passion is chasing these Alabama mountain chickens. It doesnt get any better than a foggy spring morning standing on a hilltop overlooking the Tallapoosa river, hearing 3 or 4 gobblers sounding off in the hollows, and trying to decide which one you wanna chase today. I got the fever.

Slapout_hunter1202 02-16-2008 10:25 PM

Man I'm ready too. I can't wait.

D Mills 02-17-2008 07:57 AM

Slapout Hunter, I hunt inthe Selmaarea quite often (close to the Cahaba River), I believe that's not far from you.

TEmbry 02-17-2008 08:23 AM

Im headin down to Wilcox County on the 21st after school and hunting until the 24th or 25th. Lower Peach Tree here we come!:D Though I am a KY boy.[8D]

Redbelly 02-17-2008 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

I live in Hartford, AL and was raised in Dothan. As a Methodist preacher, I've gotten to chase birds all over the southern half of the state. I'll be at Rucker on the youth hunt come March 8th. Oh yea, I'm ready. You're not alone, I promise. Then I'll be in the Covington County Management area on opening day. Then move to private land for a few days in Geneva County. Then I hope to hunt in Headland, Fort Deposit, Chambers County, and Shorter by the end of the season.
I have thought about trying the Covington area the first wekend of Al season. I am from Ga about 2 hrs east of Dothan. How is the pressure there? How is the bird population?
I want to bag a bird in Al at least once. Is there campsites there, and how much amenities do they offer?

Arjuna 02-17-2008 02:20 PM

Red,
I don't know about campsites. I'll check it out though and let you know. There will be lots of folks there on opening day. Most leave after a couple hours if nothing happens. There is a lot of pressure, but it is like 22,000 acres. I'll be glad to show you what I know, which isn't much...I know a few places there and only hunt them a few times. There are lots of birds and my buddies take birds there everyyear. Most of them only hunt there.

My family has some land in Warlick, GA but they don't turkey hunt and don't know how it is. That's about a 3 hr drive for me...do you know that area? How is it?