Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Custom Made Box

Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Custom Made Box

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I know there are a few folks on here that make custom box calls.... well LETS SEE 'EM! I'm in the market.

And if anyone has a custom box call, or can recommend any good custom box call makers... I'm all ears.

PS: I'm interested in a hunting call... not a "mantle" call. Thanks!
Here is one I made three springs ago.

Its made from cherry and maple.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 PM

SwampCollie

Thanks for the complements. As far as woods I use, Just about anything. I am always trying new woods out. Some of my favorites are Blackwalnut, Cedar, Cherry, Poplar, and a new one I like alot is Bloodwood as a Lid. I am also becoming fond of Sassafrass for a Box. I Like Bloodwood over Black walnut for a very raspy Sounding Box. I call It the mean old Hen sound. For sweet and sexy Yelps Blackwalnut over Butternut seems to do the trick. One thing I found since I started building box calls is in most cases the sound you get is determined more by the Quality of the particular wood and how you tune it and not so much on what the type of wood accually is. If you smell what I am stepping in.I have come to feel that one of the hardest things to get a box to do is purr.Every call I build willpurrif I get the sound boards thin enough, But sometimes you have to get the sides so thin that you lose the pitch ofthe yelp before you get the purr working good. I am usually happy with the Cutt and cluck when I am happy with the yelps a box makes. Blackwalnut over Cedar Is a great middle of the road Combo. so is Cherry over Poplar. I have been working hard on my own style Short box and one thing I like aboutthem is how nice they Purr compared to the checkerd Box calls. As a whole I like a Higher pitched boxcall. My calls geared more towards that trend. I would be more than happy to help you out. And I offer a money back garantee. If you are not happy I will give you your money back or let me know what it is you want different, and I will build you a new one.

Jerry
Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice fellas...Man nothin like foolin a longbeard with your own personal work...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been building boxes for the last few years. Sold a few, but mostly just made a hobby out of it. I started making them in a quest to find that "perfect" call. After building a couple hundred calls, I figured out that that perfect call doesn't exist, but it sure is fun comming close.

Here are a few of the woods that I use:

Walnut and poplar

Cherry and poplar

Spanish Cedar

and Mahogany

I get my hands on an odd wood every now and then and try it out. Never know how it'll turn out until I build one from it. I have a little magnolia right now and some pecan, and I've got some spalted pecan drying, but it won't be ready to work until NEXT year!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Check out Pauls Calls. http://www.paulscalls.com Albert Paul makes one of the best Cost Style Calls that I have ever ran and the price is very reasonable! You won't be sorry that you called him!

Here are a few other guys you might want to check out: Steve Mann, Darin Dawkins, Ed Terenfenkco,

Here is a Picture of the Albert Paul Calls that I have. All of them sound great!

[align=center][/align]
Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That man is the very reason I started building my own calls. I'd give just about anything to have one of his calls in my bag. But, I just can't bring myself to take a call that expensive and that fine to the woods. And, while I'll never be able to match is craftsmanship, I can try to produce a call that will match the sound of one of his.

Albert Paul is one of the finest people I have ever met and one of the best craftsmen I have ever seen. You won't go wrong with one of his calls.

I can also recomend another Mississippi craftsman of equal ability and repute. His name is Gary Joffrion and he has a fledgeling company called Magnolia Game Calls. He is a fireman on the Mississippi gulf coast and is trying hard to make his callmaking company a full-time venture. His website is:

http://www.magnoliacalls.com/

If you put both of these gentlemen in the same room, you'd have more class than a southern university.