Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

texas spring season???

Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default texas spring season???

My buddy and I are planning to go Snyder Texas in Scurry county to turkey hunt the first week of April. I have a few questions. One, how bad are the rattle snakes and what precautions should we take? Two, Is going the first week of season a bad idea? Three, how are they different from an eastern? Thanks alot.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: texas spring season???

Also can u hunt all day? And do you have to buy a 300 dollar hunting license or can i just buy the 125 turkey tag?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Anytime is a good time to turkey hunt. It depends on the region on snakes. I hunted Texas for many years without snake boots, but I wear them now. Just be observant and use a stick to clear anywhere you're going to sit. A rattler will usually make his presense known. Rio's typically are more vocal than Easterns, and travel farther distances during the day, so be ready to travel. $125.00 will cover the cost of the license, good for four turkeys. Check the county you will be hunting for specific bag limits.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually this year the first week of April will be the second week of the season. It opens a week earlier in Texas this year. Any time is a good time to hunt in Texas. There are so many birds. IMO, Rios are a lot easier to take than Easterns. About the rattlesnakes, I've come up on many and have never had one rattle. They won't rattle unless they feel threatened. Just keep an eye out and you will be okay. Just be glad you won't have to put up with water moccasins. They are a lot meaner than rattlers. You can get the five day license for $120.00.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

We got water moccasins here in Swampeast Mo too. YES they are very mean. Thanks guys. if the seasons opens a week earlier then we might go then!!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Early season is best. There are alot of birds but just like every where else later in the season when they are henned up they can be tuff, not as hard as an eastern, but tuff. There are rattlesnakes in that part ofTexas. If you watch where you step and arecarefull you should be alright. They willrattle, I have had this happen severall times, tolet you know you are too close.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Abilene, which is about 45 minutes to an hour from Snyder. The snakes aren't too bad. I have come across a couple while hunting, but as long as you keep an eye out, you should be fine. You can call the local Texas Parks and Wildlife office here in Abilene, and they should be able to tell you exactly what you will need to be able to legally hunt Turkeys here. That number is (325) 673-3333. Usually a game warden will answer the phone (not a secretary or anything like that). I have experienced that the first two weeks or so seem to be the best time to increase your chances at taking a Rio.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Strutter, the texas conservation website says that in Scurry County the season is from March 29 to May 11.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Blueditch42

Strutter, the texas conservation website says that in Scurry County the season is from March 29 to May 11.
It opens up in south Texas March 15. I guess I just figured you were hunting south Texas. North zone it does open March 29. I really don't know where Scurry County is. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

No problem

Quick Reply: texas spring season???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.