Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Calling

Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Mouth Calling

Simp,

Thanks for the tips... Starting to get some sound out of it now, the correct way too. It just seems like my saliva is un controllable when i blow out. I thought i made a damn good turkey sounds on the sucking in part.

thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, the spit flows when you try the mouth call for the first time! It's natural, and it's happened to all of us. It's just your mouth telling you that there's something in there that shouldn't be. Once you get use to it the spit will slow to a trickle. Try keeping it in your mouth while you're at home so you'll get use to it faster. Or try popping it in your mouth and making a couple of calls and then taking it out before the spit starts. But keep doing this over and over. I still get some spit in my mouth when I put the call in but it's definitely not as bad as when I started out. It'll get better, just keep at it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

For the yelps, trying saying "chirp" or"chop". It takes a long time to become really good on the mouth calls, so be patient with it. You can google "wild turkey sounds" and it will give you a link to the NWTF web site. There it will take you to the different sounds that turkeys make and you can try to immulate them. It sure make things alot easier and will keep you motivated.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhuntersiuc

Superstrutter, thanks for that, but I want to learn the mouth call. A box or push will not help me with that.

HAHA about the goose calling... Been working on a few new duck calls lately and they really enjoy that...[:@] They are sure to kick me out soonly! Both of them city boys too!
I spend 4 days out of the week in Norfolk, VA... have a house on a 1/4 acre, I can spit onto both of my neighbors houses.... I'm a bit of an insomniac and the girlfriend works until 1130 at night (she's a travel/booking agent... thats prime time on the left coast). They love it about April when competition duck calling season is getting ready to kick off. I blow the goose call recreationally, but don't compete.

I'm proud to say I placed 4th in the state duck this past year... and had the cops called on me twice... old people...

Back to turkeys....I learned to call turkeys on a mouth call. For the first 8 springs I had nothing but a mouth call or two (I was a kid, money was lean). Its still my best call.... my buddies tend to envy it... I guess there is just something about being able to use one that everyone wants to for some reason. I understand. Just like tying your own flies, fletching your own arrows or sharpening your own knives.

Just keep messing with it.... you'll get it. I can't tell you how to use it over the internet... all I can tell you is you'll get it sooner or later.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man you guys are making me sick with all the sucking and spit stuff... Maybe you guys could taker care of this via the PM mode
Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Man you guys are making me sick with all the sucking and spit stuff... Maybe you guys could taker care of this via the PM mode
LMAO!!!!!!as the guys are sayin bowhunter,just keep at it.I spenta couple months when I first started with that thing continually in my mouth(PennsWoods Bigtom)anyone remember that?.Wore out plenty and in a few years won our state calling contest.Its a matter of practic,the more the call is in your mouth and your working it the more comfortable you'll get with it which in turn will eventually produce turkey talk......now using it in a hunting situation is a whole different story.......
Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 AM

Mr. Longbeard... The forums are for this sort of thing. Don't complain...

As for those of you with positive input, I appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhuntersiuc

Mr. Longbeard... The forums are for this sort of thing. Don't complain...

As for those of you with positive input, I appreciate it.

Just kidding around a little dudeDidn't know you were that sensitive
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing about the call possibly being in backwards is to make sure latex is pointing out away from your body AND if you mouth call has multiple reeds that the shortest reed is pointing downward towards your tongue. The key to mouth calls is to get a good seal and practice a lot. I only use primos mouth calls. I have tried several others and they don't fit in my mouth as well as the Primos and I end up gagging with any other brand...why...I don't know. Just practice a lot, and you will drive people around you crazy (just ask my wife). I do a lot of my practicing in my truck when I am driving to and from work or anytime I am in the car by myself.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Once you get the mouth call down, add a slate call & Box call together and you will have a deadly combination.

Quick Reply: Mouth Calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.