Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Calling

Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Mouth Calling

Hey fellas,

No new guy to hunting, but very new to turkey hunting. I just purchased a wide varity of mouth calls by Primos. The CD helps, but I need some more tips. This may sounds crazy, but should I be sucking in or blowing out... just cant get it to sound when blowing out, but sucking I can make a great call? Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mouth Calling

Do you have the call in backwards?I never heard anyone making a call work or see how it would work by sucking in.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Ya, i suppose i may have it in backwards... but i sure do suck in, which as I can tell is not the proper way! I will keep working and turning it to figure it out. Just hate to suck one of them prettys down the throat ya know. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're getting a call by sucking then you've got the call in backwards probably. The "open" end should be pointing towards your teeth. You need a good seal to get good sound from the call as well. The tape that's on the call should be sealed to the roof of your mouth. You may have to trim it to fit your pallet.

A good tip that I received when I first started was, with the call in the roof of your mouth, clench your teeth together, not hard but together, and say the word "Chuck" or Chee-uck". That's your basic yelp.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Simp...
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM

thanks simp, appreciate it...

back to the practice field... haha, my roomates hate it when i practice. Guess they'll just have to live with it.

thanks again
Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhuntersiuc

back to the practice field... haha, my roomates hate it when i practice. Guess they'll just have to live with it.
You're welcome, but wait 'til we get you to start calling geese! Your roommate willBEG you to practice with the turkey call!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are definately doing ifwrong if your sucking in. Try starting out with a box, slate, or push button call, but keep working with the mouth calls.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Superstrutter, thanks for that, but I want to learn the mouth call. A box or push will not help me with that.

HAHA about the goose calling... Been working on a few new duck calls lately and they really enjoy that...[:@] They are sure to kick me out soonly! Both of them city boys too!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just keep working with it and when you're tired of practicing...practice more! Keep one with you and when you're driving take it out and practice. I think you'll find that most turkey hunters have a mouthcall they keep in their truck or car to practice with to pass the time when driving. I know I do!

You'll get the hang of it in no time I'll bet. It's definitely the hardest call to master so don't give up on it. Oh yeah, be sure to rinse the latexreeds off with water after you're done and you should put some flat toothpicks or a paper clip between them to keep them from sticking together after they dry. It'll make the call last a lot longer if you do.

Quick Reply: Mouth Calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.