Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Public and Priviate Pro's and Cons >

Public and Priviate Pro's and Cons

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public and Priviate Pro's and Cons

Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public and Priviate Pro's and Cons

I hunt on both, and both places have their share of people who love to cut somebody off!! So it's not just on Public land that you have to worry about that happening to your morning hunt. I try my best to hit the days during the week instead of the weekends, just to try and cut down on that situation from happening. With more and more turkey hunters entering the woods every spring, this PROBLEM will only get worse in my opinion!!![:@]
Old 02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'll have to say this again... I know that all private land is not private... If your hunting a small track of land, say a few hundres acres and you have a few serious turkey hunters pounding it... Then I would not concider that land "private"... Come on people this is not rocket science... If public land was so great... All you private land hunters would be hunting it... You know who you are... Just admit it... Killing birds on you land is like taking candy from a baby
Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Killing birds on you land is like taking candy from a baby
Haha... no way Jose! All it does is eliminate one variable from the equation... that would be the other hunters equation... and heck sometimes even that isn't the case. Only difference is if you run into someone on public land... or someone cuts you off, then you lose... someone does that on private land... you can phone the game warden. Nice perk for sure!

Other big advantage is you know how hard your property is getting hunted. Even if you are in a club or a joint lease, you should keep a log or journal of who is hunting where and when. Just a general idea so you can feel out how much pressure your place is getting.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Longbeard if you can't stay on topic take it somewhere else. Everyone knows your opinion.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I just realized something Charlie P. Your original post was pro's and con's of public and private ground. I did not do that, and I apologize for straying from the original post. So here's mine:
Pro for private ground: Not running into Mr. Longbeard.
Con for public ground: Running into Mr. Longbeard.
Had to throw that at ya' Mr. Longbeard, is was just too easy!
It is meant as just a joke. Your proud of your public land success, and you let all of us know it.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Public - Con There is none in most areas I hunt - no state land or pulbic
There are no birds on the public I have looked at.
If there is birds Vast majority of birds have been called to way before season.

Private - Pro - That is where the birds are in the states I hunt
Less chance of someone else coming in on you - but it does happen.

Con Not getting the permission and I am like alot of you others here I work very hard at land owner relations.

JW
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I just love to turkey hunt. I like to hunt both public and private, it is worth a few cons to hunt turkeys. I hunt mostly public but it seems at least a few times each year I will get lucky enough to hit a private spot with someone. If I had to take my choice between two similar pieces of land in the same region and one was private, one public, I would hunt the private land.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Some" people on this board are well known for the "assupumption" that public land hunters
can walk taller, and prouder out the woods with a Tom, than us pen raised private land hunters.
Some people have to use strange things to amhe them feel superior makesme wonder why?

You should of thought about that while you were writing this post[:-]

Maybe you were the one who went off topic
Old 02-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another Con public, can't leave blind etc. on the land.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Public..I know nothing about it and don't know those who hunt the areas. I won't go unless I'm with someone who hunts it regularly. Takes more time to travel to and through.

Private..No one else turkey hunts it. I know the area and I know where the turkeys stay and travel. I can be out hunting in a blind or on the ground within a matter of minutes, so I can hunt every day after work if I choose. In from work and out in the blind in less than 15 minutes, and that includes a 5 minute walk.

Quick Reply: Public and Priviate Pro's and Cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.