Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosting birds?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Roosting birds?

itll getcha a turkey 95% of the time if you know what your doin
Old 02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt vast areas, and our birds move allot. I like to roost them for the next morn.Do not forget about a little wing flapping to go along with those soft tree yelps before slippen out of there.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ultimag

I hunt vast areas, and our birds move allot. I like to roost them for the next morn.Do not forget about a little wing flapping to go along with those soft tree yelps before slippen out of there.
that llittle wing flap can make or break your day, i like to just use my cap, works great
Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Why is that?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a turkey flying up to the roost. I use this early in the morning right at fly down...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe I misunderstood?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:07 PM

I went to our club too early one day last year and hooted a couple of times. Next thing I knowa gobbler was flying over my head. Newby mistake, wont make that one again. Last year was the first year I have turkey hunted and it was a learning experience. I do try to roost them if I am going the next morning.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

No you didn't Ulti....hmmmm...."make or brake"....95% thats a shade steep brotha....[:-]At least in my stretch of woods.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 PM

I would try to roost a bird every evening if I had the chance. I have mostly hunted run and gun style on large areas of NF. If I can find a bird that gobbles on the roost I expect him to be hot in the morning or at the very least talking. That doesn't always hold true, but I've always felt a roosted bird put me a leg up in the morning.

If I can roost one late season w/ full foilage, I'll push in really close before light, especially if I'm sure where the bird is. Then I hope to never say a word and roll hima couple steps afterhe touches down.

As far as the wing flap goes. If I'm trying to work a bird off the limb, say I know he's got hens around or I can't get to the side I expect him to go or I'm trying to keep him from flying down across an obstacle, I'll always do a couple really really soft tree yelps w/ my head leaned back pointed into the tree. Then when I think it is time for flydown I'll do afly downw/ my cap from above my head and into the leaves. I may throw in a cackle during the wing flap, but I normally won't say anything after that until he touches down. You know he likes it when he gobbles at the fly down w/o any calls.

I've had the hens almost set down on me after that.

I can't imagine not roosting birds if I have the opportunity to get out.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately, most of the property I hunt is a 1 to 2 hour drive and you need to be out of the woods by 12 or 1:00 (depending on the state). Since I'm not hunting in the afternoon, it doesn't seem worth it to me to drive 4 hours just to hear where a bird is roosted.

Quick Reply: Roosting birds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.