Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Rem. HD's outperformed hevi shot >

Rem. HD's outperformed hevi shot

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rem. HD's outperformed hevi shot

Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem. HD's outperformed hevi shot

I never thought I would say it, but something outperformed my Rem. hevi shot mags. I'm shooting the 870 SPS-T thumbhole with the Jellyhead choke. The HD's had more hits at every range than the hevi shot, especially at 40 and 45 yards. Maybe all the hype was true about the HD's. I still have a couple of boxes of the hevi shot and willstill use them, but I now know I have another load I can be very confident in, especially since they don't make the Rem. hevi shot anymore. Some of you may want to give them a try. They just may work well with your set up. I'm using the 3 1/2 inch 6 shot in the Rem. Wingmaster HD's.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Spike

Default RE: Rem. HD's outperformed hevi shot

I only have a few shells left of the old Rem. hevi-shot, already bought a box of the new Win. stuff but maybe I will try the new HD also. Plenty expensive, it better be good!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

i havent had anything outperform hevi shot in my setup
Old 02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wingmaster HD is chemically the same as hevi-shot. Only Remington has found a way to make it both softer and more perfectly round. If you have ever recovered or cut open a hevi shell, you've no doubt seen the variance in the pellets with hevi-shot. Not round, and heck not even all the same size as advertised. Doesn't suprise me at all that the Wingmaster shot better for you.

I shoot Winchester Elite Extended Range HD. Very similar to wingmaster HD. And of all the 100s of dollars I've spent testing and writing and retesting again... nothing has been able to beat it out of my hunting gun. In other test guns, certain types did beat it on isolated cases, but if I would test 15 loads... it would alway be top one or two.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have used the Remington Hevi-shot in my Benelli SBE for a few years and am down to 2 boxes and was wondering how the HD's would be, thanks for the review.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: learningturkeys

I only have a few shells left of the old Rem. hevi-shot, already bought a box of the new Win. stuff but maybe I will try the new HD also. Plenty expensive, it better be good!
If you break it down, there is really no difference in the price of Rem. wingmaster HD's and the Win. ext. elite. The Win.'s cost $40.00 a box for 10 shells. The HD's cost $21.00 for a box of 5. That is only a $2 difference. These are prices of the 3 1/2" shells. Both are very good loads.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Superstrutter...that's very nice to know. Have you shot the Win Supreme Elites yet? I finally got around to doing some patterning over the weekend and I tried the Supreme Elites in a 3" #6 shot load using a Jellyhead choke and using a Tru Glo Strut Stopper Extreme. I haven't had a chance to really analyze the patterns yet, but do have the butcher paper that I shot at labeled and ready for analization when I get a chance (been pretty busy). I will be sure to post my findings in the near future. Thanks for the info on the Rem HD's...I may have to go buy me a box...
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I think remington has a 10$ rebate on the 5 round box.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may give them a try this spring...