HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Jake, Toms, Gobblers whats the diffrence? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/230275-jake-toms-gobblers-whats-diffrence.html)

ajarvimaki 02-01-2008 02:41 PM

Jake, Toms, Gobblers whats the diffrence?

X Legion General 02-01-2008 02:51 PM

RE: Jake, Toms, Gobblers whats the diffrence?

A jake is an imature male bird will usually a
have a short stubby beard. Jakes will often gobble.
A tom is a mature male turkey with a full fan and the beard hangs down.
Both can becalled a gobbler they will both gobble. While you canusually tell the differance between a tom and jake gobble there are times when a jake can sound like a mature tom and vice versus.

ajarvimaki 02-01-2008 02:56 PM

Hey Thanks!

r33h 02-01-2008 03:06 PM

A key visual difference between a mature gobbler and a jake is the fan. On a jake, the middle feathers (at the 12 o'clock position) on the fan will be significantly longer than the feathers on the sides (at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions).

ajarvimaki 02-01-2008 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: ajarvimaki

i guess im really an idiot when it comes to turkeys, but im watching these hunting shows wonder, whats the diffrence between Jakes, Toms, and Gobblers? would someone please help me out?

ajarvimaki 02-01-2008 03:13 PM

Simp 02-01-2008 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ajarvimaki

There's no way that it's 56465! It absolutely has to be 56456! :D

superstrutter 02-01-2008 05:04 PM

:eek:Okay, I'm lost

Mr. Longbeard 02-01-2008 06:17 PM

And you should be

JNTURK 02-01-2008 08:30 PM

yea...whats up with the numbers??

anyways difference between birds:

Jake - younger bird usually defined as 1 or 2 years old. When bird is at full fan the fan will not be full and will have long and short feathers. it will have a small beard (1-3 inches) and little to no spurs. when he gobbles it will sound weaker and may have some scratchynes to it..(sort of like a young boy hitting that age where sometimes the voice is deep and then other times it is scratchy)

Tom - the fan will be completely full and all feathers will be the same length. the beard will be 4 inches and longer (typically) it will have spurs measuring atleast 1/2 or so and longer. its gobbles are loud and deep and will not be scratchy after gobbling for a long period of time....

a gobbler....is well, anything that gobbles.....usually can be reffered to toms and/or jakes...