Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Water proof calls

Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Spike

Default Water proof calls

Ok I have tried to be a nice guy and not bother any of you super turkey killers but the seach mode doesn't seem to get me anywhere which of the so called water proof calls do you deem the best and is there a cheap way to water proof regular calls?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Water proof calls

amnot a super turkley killer - have shot my share but don't consider myself an expert!

Waterproof calls I use
Quaker boy Hurricane for the box and a Pittman Glass that actually works or runs better by spittin on it!

As far as making a current call waterproof - use a Ziploc bag.....I know of no treatment other than that maybe others do.

Oh tip for ya - on a damp slate - take a bic lighter and flame the surface to dry it out.

JW
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply I am just starting to get enough turkeys around the farm to hunt I have a swamp behind the house and between that and the All the best rain my box call made some interesting sounds and finally just quit altogether I can't seem to intigrate(Sp) a mouth call with my false teeth there seems to be a conflict of usable space Ha!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Spike

Now, I haven’t tried this personally, but my dad took an old, cheap box call and covered the thing with spray on polyurethane. Then he masked it off with tape and sprayed the striking surfaces with chalkboard spray paint.

It was as ugly as sin, but he took it into the bathroom, ran the tub on full blast and stuck it in the water for 10-20 seconds and that thing still ran. Not the best box call I’ve ever heard, but certainly serviceable, especially soaking wet.

Again, I haven’t tried it yet. And I personally wouldn’t do it to a call I wasn’t afraid to pitch afterward. But that said, I was impressed.

I never knew ‘ole dad was that clever….
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

diaphragm calls do a pretty good job of putting up with water. lol.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Quaker boy Hurricane and diaphragm calls are going to be the most reliable in the rain.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a glass call try River Valleys new Enigma. It can be used in the rain with the carbon striker. It alsocomes witha hickory striker and slate on the bottom.
Learn to run a diaphragm and your in Gods pocket....
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Got a new midwest turkey call supply catalogue in today.They now have a box call waterproofing kit for about six bucks. Says it comes with enough to treat six calls.Havent tried it but there it is, didnt know this existed until today. Might try it on a old out of service box call.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Take your Teeth out to learn to use that Mouth Call.

The one thing I try to tell someone who is trying to learn how to use a mouth Call is not to Blow its a Huffing from the GUT it really don't take much wind at all to get a a sound from a Mouth Call.

TF
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

For a slate call use a plexi glass striker. Plexi glass strikers work well in the rain whether your slate or glass is wet or not...

Quick Reply: Water proof calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.